Chapter 27

Iroh watched as the soldiers prepped for their impending battle.

He could feel his heart racing, knowing they were close to where his grandfather was.

He glanced to Bumi's cabin, seeing the light on.

Suki was sitting on the stairs, her chin resting in her hands.

Her wild brown hair stuck up here and there.

That was something Iroh was relieved he didn't inherit from their father. He's watched Suki struggle with her hair for years, but she never gives up with it.

Iroh looked to the bow when someone yelled that the building was in sight.

He looked at Suki.

They made eye contact and he flicked his amber eyes to the door that led below deck.

Suki rolled her eyes and stood up, walking to the door.

Iroh watched as she went below deck.

A moment later, Bumi exited his cabin and slid down the banister on his feet.

He dashed to the bow and jumped on the wall. He used his hand to block the sun as he looked at the building.

"Thar she blows!" He howled. "Land ho!"

Iroh shook his head, smiling faintly.

Bumi jumped off the wall and turned to the deck, "Remember the plan! We storm the building, our higher ranks are searching for the Fire Lord the rest are protecting the ship and the Royal Ladies."

Iroh felt his heart jump, he wasn't considered high rank, but he was higher than a majority of the ship. He was half hoping Bumi would let him search for his grandfather.

"Apprentice Iroh!"

"Yes sir!" Iroh jumped to attention.

"Meet me in my cabin soldier!" Bumi roared.

Iroh nodded and saluted.

He followed Bumi up to the cabin.

Bumi closed the door behind them.

Iroh glanced out the window to the deck and watched a moment before looking to Bumi.

Bumi looked at him with a stoic expression.

"What?" Iroh asked.

"I know you're going to fight me on this, but you're not fighting," Bumi said.

Iroh blinked, "What?"

"You're too closely related to this mission," Bumi said.

Iroh stammered out incoherently for a moment before he spat out, "So are you!"

"Iroh, he's your grandfather and he's probably hurt very bad."

"So?" Iroh snapped. "He's your father-in-law! Why do I have to sit out?"

"Because," Bumi sighed.

"Why?" Iroh growled.

Bumi blew at his hair, "We aren't even supposed to be doing this, if I let you get hurt over this, I'll never forgive myself."

Iroh's brow twitched, "What do you mean we aren't supposed to be doing this? I thought you had permission to go on this mission? Are you seriously risking your career for this?"

Bumi rubbed his eyes.

"Mother is going to kill you!" Iroh spat. "You've spent half your life trying to get here! You're really going to throw it all away just for my Grandfather!"