45 // man-child

Not an update! Just a quick little edit

CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE
man-child
•••

CHAPTER FORTY-FIVEman-child•••

ᴏᴀᴋʟᴇʏ ᴄᴀʀɪʟʟᴏ

"Oakley, what are you doing? It's the middle of the night," my dad asked as I was finishing setting up my new telescope. He rubbed his eyes. Maybe I woke him up from the swearing just five minutes ago. Dad had always been a light sleeper.

"What does it look like I'm doing?" I asked with a smile on my face.

"Is that a telescope?" he asked, squinting as his eyes were adjusting to the dark.

"Yeah. Just arrived yesterday. Sick right?" I turned back around and looked up at the stars. It was a perfectly clear sky.

My dad sighed.

"Alright. Don't make it too late." He walked back inside and I sat down in one of our lawn chairs.

"Love you, Dad!" I called after him, earning me a 'yeah yeah, you too'.

I was outside for a few hours before I decided to go sleep. Saturday was boyfriend-day and I was getting impatient. I hadn't seen Nolan in a week. An entire fucking week. I was starving.

"I'm dying," I told Gen over the phone. Her knowing about us turned out the be the biggest relief. During the day, when Nolan was working, I'd spend my lonely hours bothering Gen about honestly anything.

"I know, Oakley. But it's Friday. Just be a little patient."

"I've been patient for what feels like years, Gen. I'm losing it. I need him right now. He got home pretty late last night and then he texted me saying good night and I just couldn't stop thinking so I ended up not sleeping at all because I was thinking about what all of this meant and all because what if we're just fucking soulmates, you know? I just want the entire fucking world to know I'm his like, forever."

"Damn, Oakley. Take a breather," she said as she giggled.

"Oh, and by the way, Mason called me yesterday saying they aren't happy and they want to silence me so I told my mom and she went over the contract and she said she didn't find anything which means I can't release anything right now or they'd sue me and they'd probably win. But I mean I'm dropping them soon so it doesn't really matter anyway, you know? I mean it's kinda sad because I have these really good things I did this week and they're fucking masterpieces and I sent—"

"Oakley, slow down. I don't understand a thing you're saying."

"I said I wrote some fucking masterpieces and I sent them to Mason who sent them to the label but they didn't change their minds which sucks b—"

Always Gen with her damn interrupting me.

"Did you just say they fucking silenced you?"