37. Move Aside

__________________

.

.

.

River started awake from her dreamless sleep, her hand reaching for the light switch. She heard another murmur outdoor. Turning it on, she grabbed the ceramic vase on the nightstand though she knew it was of no use if the person at the other side of the wall had a gun on him or her.

"Mommy?" She heard a distant knock and her baby's sleepy voice.

She sighed as she placed the vase back and got out of the bed, walking towards the door. She opened it to see Mateo kneeling down in front of Kiara, her back to her.

She turned at the sound of the door and held her arms open, not saying anything. Her little baby was half asleep.

"Come here my little world." She whispered as she picked her up, wrapping her arms around her small frame as she wrapped her legs around her mother and rested her head against her chest, falling back asleep within seconds.

"She wakes up in the middle of the night." River told Mateo who was staring sleepily and adoringly at their little princess.

"She gets it from me."

River rolled her eyes. Why was she not surprised?

"Good night Mateo."

"Good night River." He smiled and he watched them until she closed the door behind her.

.

.

.

"Why do I smell pancakes this early in the morning?"

River turned around to see Adam walk in a white tee and a blue striped pajama pants with light brown teddy bears on it.

And he was supposed to be in the Mafia! Though she knew she shouldn't be judging him based on his sleepwear preferences.

"Jeez sis-in-law, did you sleep at all?"

River sighed as she sipped on her expresso.

"Well, bro-in-law, your niece woke me up at three o' clock and then your nephew at five or something and woke up your niece again who played in my room and is now passed out on my bed." She yawned. And she knew that they will be cranky all day, missing her mother and grandmother because they had been staying with them for days.

"Whoa, they take after Mateo." He chuckled as he climbed on to the counter, just beside the stove.

River sighed again, feeling the exhaustion try to pull the shutters on her eyes.

Yeah yeah, they take after only their father. She got that.

"Only Kiara actually. Lucas sleeps better. I guess he woke up today because it's a new place." She yawned yet again.

She had come to accept the fact that proper and sound sleep just wasn't in her fate.

"You are up?"

The both of them turned to see Mateo walk in, dressed in a black suit and putting his silver Rolex watch on.

"Yeah, I know I need more of my beauty sleep but I decided to wake up early to make some breakfast for my little babies." Adam said, grabbing the spatula from River's hand and hoping off the counter.

River rolled her eyes as she just walked around the counter and perched upon the stool with her mug of warm coffee in her hand while he took the spot in front of the stove.

Adam looked at the spatula as if he was seeing it for the first time while Mateo poured himself a cup of black coffee and joined her and gave her a smile, "Morning, Kiara didn't let you sleep?"