Part 20

Eric yelled, well it was more of a roar at this point, but his mate didn't turn back. He knew he should've just dragged her back to camp. She wasn't making sense. However, for the few moments that Eric held her, she sounded so sure of herself.

Twins. She's heading your way. Eric tried to move, but whatever Demi had done to him wasn't wearing off anytime soon. He'd never encountered somebody who could do this. Eric wasn't even sure what this was. Demi had done it so fast, he didn't know what was happening until he was on the ground.

What chance do we have if she already took you and Doyle down? Logan asked. It was a great question. One Eric couldn't answer.

⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯

Demi knew that she was about three-fourths of the way there. She prayed that Eric was alright and that her dream was wrong about the wolves. A few seconds later she knew that it wasn't.

She first heard the wolves breathing, they were almost perfectly silent on the ground. When they started to gain on her, Demi saw that they were both a strange strawberry blonde color. Demi, you need to stop. There was a voice in her head. It sounded strangely like Parker's.

Creepy, but okay. It was interesting to see––or hear––the twin's telepathy in action. Demi wasn't sure how to respond, so she just pushed a thought back very loudly. They must have gotten the message because the smaller wolf, presumably Logan, sped up. He got past Demi and blocked her route.

Again she was moving too fast to slow down, and she couldn't turn in time. With no other options, Demi kept going and fell over the wolf. Demi landed on the ground with an oomph and her ankle barked at her. She rolled over on her back to see a wolf looking down at her. His muzzle was practically touching her. He seemed to be frowning.

"You ass," Demi muttered. Another wolf came over to her.

It's your own fault, you should've stopped. Parker said or thought. Demi wasn't exactly sure how this worked. When she tried to get up she felt sharp pains shooting through her left side. Demi knew that her ribs were cracked, but she would have to heal them later. She also felt that her ankle was badly sprained.

Demi ran an eye over Logan. He looked to be fine. I'm fine. Thanks for asking. Logan directed at his brother. Demi knew that the twins could be more reasonable, so she would at least try to explain. We know what you're about to say, and no. We're taking you back to camp. Logan turned toward her and narrowed his eyes.

"But I need to get the––"

Purple flowers, we know. They interrupted. Demi just stood up and dusted herself off. She could tell she was close to the flowers. After testing out her ankle to buy herself some time, Demi decided she could try to make a run for it. Demi leaned on a tree to make it look like she just needed a breath. Which Demi did, since she was in a lot of pain at the moment. Wrapping a bit of her magic around the wounded ankle, she bolted.

The twins instantly chased after her. Demi was a few feet ahead when Parker leaped to catch her. She had seen it out of the corner of her eye and slid into a turn. Right as Demi did, Parker was over her, a few inches from her face. She saw the pressure point that would immediately take him down. It glowed a bluish hue that only she, or somebody with healing magic, could see. He collapsed almost instantly once Demi had jabbed her knuckles into it.

With Parker down all she had to worry about was Logan. He was definitely faster than his brother and would give Demi some trouble. She stood upright in time to see the smaller wolf, trying to ram her. Rolling to her side Demi took the first chance she could when she saw the bluish hue and jammed her knuckles into the wolf's rib cage.

Demi stood up feeling dizzy. She needed to hurry if her magic was already draining. Now that she thought of it, Demi realized that she had never fully recharged. "Sorry." She said to the twins before running off.

↢↟↣

When Demi reached the canyon, relief washed over her. She searched for the plant that caused her so much trouble. It was nowhere in sight. Panic replaced the relief. It has to be here. It was in the dream.

The dream.

Demi looked across the ravine and her eyes connected with a small purple bush near the edge. Looking for a way across, Demi began to pace the edge. There was no bridge of any kind, and Eric would be getting back his movement and magic soon. Once that happened, Demi knew he'd drag her back to camp.

She thought about everything her mother had taught her about healing magic. Which wasn't much since her mother didn't have it. Realizing the answer was somewhere more painful, Demi cringed. Her father had taught that the 'healing' gift wasn't really that. It was the ability to transfer energy, more specifically life energy. Healers only used the gift to put their own energy into another but could take energy from something living. That was the third reason why you never mess with a healer. Demi's father had called it 'anti-healing' and had taught her how to do it. She hated using that part of her ability because it was in her nature to save lives, not take them.

Demi walked up to a large tree, that, if knocked down, would be the perfect bridge. "I'm sorry, but the children need that plant." She whispered. Angling her power so the tree would fall the right way, she focused on the tree's life force. Demi started slow, knowing how addicting it could feel to take another's power. She watched as the area she used her magic on began to rot away. When the wood was almost all the way rotted through, it fell over with barely a push from Demi.

Both the feeling of exhaustion and dizziness had left. Demi felt quite awake actually. She had nearly forgotten the high of taking something's life force. The high would always happen unless she used the energy as soon as she got it. She wanted more, but the bit of purple in the corner of her eyes reminded Demi what she'd come here to do and what was at stake. She crossed the bridge she'd just made without hesitation. The canyon was not terribly wide, but it was very deep. It looked like a crack in the earth that led to hell.

When Demi came to the middle of the gorge she felt the boundary. The boundary is like the border between the human's land, aka no man's land, and the fae lands. This particular one was the southern border. Demi knew that once she crossed she'd be in the Southern fae territory. She hadn't been on her birth land in almost ten years. It made her nervous, like just crossing the border, would somehow notify them that she was back.

"You're only going a few feet, and then coming back. Stop being so paranoid." Demi scolded herself. Taking a deep breath, she crossed.