{3⁵} {BROKEN STRINGS}

∆ {3⁵} {BROKEN STRINGS} ∆ 

THE PARTY HAD eventually calmed down enough that only the Avengers, Hill, Rhodey and Dr. Cho were left. Roxi was quite glad that it had calmed as much as it had, because the constant noise of people laughing, talking, yelling, it made her head pound, and when that happened, she would start getting the dull pounding at the base of her skull she always got when she was surrounded by loud noises. She'd been talking to Natasha until she got distracted by the way the city looked through Stark's huge floor to ceiling windows. She couldn't see the stars past the clouds and the smoky blue night sky, but she could see the lights throughout the city winking on and off gently, glimmering like raindrops on a spiderweb against the strong silhouettes of the buildings that formed New York City. It was raining ever so slightly outside, the droplets spattering onto the windows, scattering with the impact, reflecting the lights slightly. The whole vision created such an illusion of calmness that Roxi almost forgot where she was, carried away into the night by the fantasies of her mind. 

Once again, it was Natasha that brought her back down to earth, with a gentle hand on her shoulder and a soft smile that caused Roxi's heart to race as her ice blue eyes met the redhead's forest green ones. Roxi smiled back, with the same calmness and softness, caught up in the moment as Natasha began to talk.

"Come on, let's go sit down with the others," she suggested quietly, prompting Roxi to nod in response and follow Natasha down to the seated area, holding her drink in one hand, the redhead's hand subtly in the other. They sat down next to each other on the white leather couch, Roxi's mind growing ever so slightly fuzzy from the alcohol, but not so much so that she couldn't think. The theme of conversation seemed to be Thor's hammer. How'd they'd gotten onto the subject, she had no idea, but it was quite amusing to listen to as Thor let out a low chuckle and Roxi took another sip of her drink. 

"But it's a trick," Clint complained, spinning a drumstick between his fingers as he jeered at the god, clearly a little over drunk.

"No, no, it's much more than that," Thor protested happily, handing Steve a drink as she set her glass down. Clint scoffed before mocking Thor in a deep voice,

"He whosoever be worthy shall haveth the power," he begun before changing back to his normal voice, "whatever man, it's a trick!" Roxi decided to simply watch the scene unfurl before her, smiling faintly as she realised how lucky she was to know people like that, who could just joke around, and who made her feel safe, for once in her life. She still wasn't quite used to the the feeling; the one that people were there for her, looking out for her, willing to help her. It was something she'd never really had before the Avengers, and that thought left her slightly dazed. She wanted to smile wider, to laugh along with them, to let them in. But she couldn't, she reminded herself, as a sad jolt went through her heart. She had to keep them safe. And Natasha; she didn't know what she'd do if Natasha died or was injured because if her. All of a sudden, Roxi didn't want to smile anymore. But, she kept it painted on her face, all though she felt different inside. 

Natasha noticed the subtle difference in Roxi's face. It was only visible for a second before it vanished, but if the redhead looked closer, she could see something dark lurking behind the brunette's eyes. It made her frown slightly. Every time the woman seemed to be starting enjoying herself, she would shut the feelings down and her eyes would take that look.

"Well please, be my guest," Thor suggested gesturing towards his hammer. The slightly glazed look she had disappeared and Natasha relaxed minutely as both women fixed their attention on Clint, waiting for his response.

"Really?" He asked after a slight pause, everyone suddenly listening closely to the conversation.

"Yeah," Thor confirmed, his voice still light as Clint got up and made his way over to where Mjölnir sat on the table.