13

Harry styles

As I make my way up my stairs I can't help but smile. Just at everything that happened. The serotonin boost I felt as her fingers interlocked with mine was a feeling and memory I'd never forget.

Some memories never leave your bones. It's kind of like the salt in the sea, they become a part of you. And you carry them. Our memories are gifts that show us life, even through the toughest times, is worth living-

I was starting to sound like Aaliyah in my head because I knew it would be something she said. Some of the things she said was inspirational, other things I found slightly interesting, other times she'd word things in a way I'd never understand.

I make my way up to my bedroom, open the door and I'm immediately greeted with bright rays shining through the window and into my eyes causing me to squint them shut till everything became merely a blurred outline.

What is the essence of a sunflower

Is the only thing that was in my head. How the bloody hell was anyone supposed to answer that? I mean, I don't think it even made sense unless we used personified language like the one in Aaliyahs book. There's something I know about that book that she doesn't. I just can't say it yet. She should find out soon enough with how often I know she'll read it.

I lay my head on my pillow as the sun highlights the black ink plastered all over my body. I'd call my body a journal I guess-

Wait

My journal

I abruptly sit up in my bed and Rub my eyes as I rush over to my draw to retrieve my journal. Yeah yeah, okay. I make fun of Aaliyah for doing all that poetry stuff but I can see what she means with like.. a journal. But I had the best idea.

I get what Aaliyah means about writing in a journal and how it's calming. It's like, when you write, you talk to yourself yet listen to yourself at the same time. I just find it so therapeutic. But either way I had a good idea. An idea that would take a while and I didn't even know if it would work or not, but I really hope it did.

If this idea worked it would not only make Aaliyah happy, but it would make me happy that I made her happy. Her happiness just radiates onto anyone she meets, at least that's the impression I got off her anyway.

I stick my tongue out when I write as a form of a habit, it means I'm concentrating. When I wrote in my journal I liked to doodle as well. I wrote the title

The essence of a sunflower

I'm not sure how long this would take me. But that's the amazing thing about time, time you chose to enjoy wasting is not wasting time. It's something you love doing and are passionate about.

That's something Aaliyah would say.

As I write down a few notes to begin I couldn't help but smile as I feel the dimple in the sides of my cheek. The sun through the window helped give me some inspiration as to what to write.

I lean back against my head board as I take the pen in my tattooed hand and begin to write everything I know about sunflowers thanks to Aaliyah.

I couldn't wait to take her out tomorrow. I knew she loved it at that coffee shop so I guess she could show me around a bit.

As she said

"There's grace in being lost."

That's probably my favourite thing that she's ever said. It meant so many things in one. That's what I loved about her, she was happy, adventurous, spontaneous, hopeful. Just everything you could wish for in one.

I made sure to write it down so I never forgot it. My goal right now was to be more like Aaliyah, as hard as it would be. And no I don't mean going out my way to read, I just need to loosen up in life a little bit. Enjoy some parts here and there.

It won't happen overnight, but all I know is that I was going to bring my camera with me tomorrow, maybe a Polaroid one so I can stick it in my journal for memories.

I couldn't wait to see her tomorrow, what she would come out with literature wise I had no idea. But I was ready.

-

A/N: short but sweet chapter! I love you all <3