171

"That sound uncomfortable." Charlie said as Kathy's scream sounded through the cottage. She had been in labor for a few hours. Aline said it was best if I waited downstairs with everyone else, that it would be best if it was just Lee in there with them.

"She is pushing a whole baby out of her vagina." I said, biting my lip. George squeezed my gently. He was hugging me from behind, arms wrapped around my shoulders.

"How painful must that be." Bill said. "A baby is what— the size of a pumpkin?"

"She's thirty-nine weeks." I said. "So the baby's the size of a honeydew melon."

"How do you know that?" Fred asked with a frown.

"My cousin delivers babies for a living. I know a thing or two."

I was excited to see Kathy's little girl. Excited to see who she looked like more, what she looked like. I was excited to know her name and I was excited to be in the little girls life while she grew up.

Kathy and I had dreamt about this since we were kids. Eleven years old and talking and dreaming about the future. Being there when each of us had kids. George and Fred would always gag at our conversation, saying that making babies was disgusting. I nearly laughed at the memory.

I so wish I could go back to being a child. Things were so easier, so simpler. I still had my mum, I didn't know the truth about my father and I would never have experienced the loss of my baby.

"I'm never having babies." Charlie said as Kathleen screamed again. "I'm probably going to get a lot of nieces and nephews so that'll be enough."

Silence...

Then Kathy screamed again.

"So—" George said. "Freddie. How does this feel, eh?"

"What?"

"A baby is coming out of the very same place your cock has been."

"George." Bill sighed, sending him an unimpressed look while I brought a hand up to my forehead, shaking my head.

"Wait what?" Deanne asked and looked at Fred. Then she looked away again and took a deep breath. I smiled. She had been trying so hard lately to contain her anger when she felt her and the same with her jealousy.

"For your information, Georgie. I have no opinion." Fred replied. "It was one time, it was nice but she is married, about to have a baby and I have my own girlfriend whom I love very much."

At that, Deanne smiled softly and he wrapped an arm around her.

I could tell that Bill and Charlie weren't used to people just casually talking about sex like this but that was how our friend group was and we had always been like that. Well, not always. We didn't talk about sex and genitals when we were eleven.

A last scream shook the cottage before the sound of baby cries filled our ears. Everyone looked towards the stairs and I smiled, my heart feeling all warm at the thought of Kathy and Lee with their newborn baby.

We waited down here for another thirty minutes or so before Aline came walking down the staircase.

"George? Lizzie? Kathleen wants you two to be the first to meet their daughter."

"Them?" Fred scoffed as George and I made our way to the stairs. "I'm here too."

When we entered the room, Kathleen was sitting up in the bed, back against the headboard. Lee was next to her and in Kathy's arms she cradled a baby in a white blanket.

"Oh my god." I whispered, my eyes filling with tears. I was the first to be by Kathleen's side and shortly after, George looked from over my shoulder.

"She's beautiful, isn't she?" Lee asked, eyes focused on his daughter.

She was absolutely amazing. Her skin was smooth and was a golden color with a warm undertone. Eyes were a dark blue which all newborns have and her head was full of dark curls.

"That's a whole ass baby." George said and Kathy laughed while I swatted his chest.

"Her name... Evelyn Elizabeth Jordan."

My eyes flicked to Kathleen and my eyes watered even more. "Are you trying to kill me right here and now?"

She laughed again and then looked at Lee. "Go ahead. Ask them."

We looked at Lee who then looked at us. "Well, alright then. We wanted to ask you to be Evelyn's godparents."