Prologue

[Keep in mind my white ass only knows the basics of Chinese culture. I'm just a fan of the book and I do my best to do my research. Keep in mind the liberties I'm taking are for the sake of storytelling, but if I cross the line and I'm being culturally insensitive, please let me know.]

Tripitaka fell on his knees with his hands on the floor and his head hung down, panting after using all of his energy on his protection spells. The demon king, standing in front of him and with his generals and their armies behind him, laughed.
"Is that all the chosen one, the righteous monk Tripitaka can do?!" he asked. "Protection spells?!" he leaned closer, the monk didn't look up. "I suppose when you have the Monkey King by your side, you're bound to slack off."
Under his breath, the monk closed his eyes and recited another spell. The demon king kept talking as his smirk grew larger, revealing his sharp teeth.
"But your precious bodyguard isn't here anymore, he is back for another few centuries buried under a mountain." he snickered. "Except this time his master won't be there to save him!" his snicker turned into a laugh.

Tripitaka ignored him and kept reciting his spell. Hearing no begging for mercy, the king looked closer and noticed what he was doing. Tripitaka started to glow in a gentle blue light, as soon as it happened, the king grabbed him by the throat with a single hand and lifted his body.
"Conjuring yet another spell? I have to admit, your stubbornness is admirable."
When the light around him disappeared, Tripitaka opened his eyes again and the demon king gasped. His bright cyan blue eyes, signifying his 'chosen one' status, turned a regular brown.

"What did you do?" the demon slowly asked, furious.
"My last resort." Tripitaka painfully said with a dry voice. "I transferred all of my powers to a child who has just been born somewhere in China."
"You mean...You mean there is now a new reincarnation of the Golden Cicada?!"
"There may be a new chosen one, but there will always be one Monkey." the monk smiled. "And once the two of them are united, together they'll carry on the journey to the west."
"I will stop them!"
"I'm sure you'll try. And knowing Monkey, he'd never pass an opportunity for 'a good ass-kicking revenge'." he chuckled.

The demon king became frustrated with how calm Tripitaka was.
"You would give your life away and place your trust in a stupid violence-hungry self-centered monkey who didn't want to be your disciple in the first place?!"
"I'm doing it right now aren't I?" he looked him in the eyes, still smiling.
The demon's fist clenched, he took out his sword and plunged it through his heart.

It was a dark and rainy day, friends battled and died. And somewhere, trapped inside a mountain, a monkey was struggling shouting in rage and desperation.
And the years passed...

"And so, the Great Sage equal to Heaven ate all of the peaches of immortality-"
"Wait," one of the disciples interrupted his master. "so he's...double immortal?"
"Well no." another disciples said. "The Tao doesn't make him immortal per se, it just makes him ageless."
"Isn't that the same thing though?"
"I mean-yeah, but the Tao has to be regularly practiced, the peaches are more concrete. You can just eat one of them and boom."
"Either way," a third one joined the conversation. "why did he eat *all* the peaches? One was just enough."
"He didn't eat them for the immortality. I'm pretty sure he just likes peaches."
"Also wasn't it his job to guard them?! Because of him the Jade Emperor had to wait years for new ones to grow so they could hold the peach festival. How stupid and impulsive."
"That's the Monkey King in a nutshell."

The three disciples snickered. Though those were three out of thirty-seven who weren't paying attention, it was enough for the high monk to stop in his tale and irritate him.
"Excuse me." his clear voice made them suddenly sit straight. "Although yes it was stupid and impulsive of him, knowing the tales of the Monkey King is essential to your training."
"To know what not to do?"
"Yes but not just that-"
"Sun Wukong is so cool!!!"