𝐗𝐋𝐈𝐕. THE DEVIL CAME DOWN TO BRIGHTON

❝ VICES ❞

December 2nd, 2020

A/N
there will be a double update
today. I'm publishing this
chapter an hour before the
next one so people have time
to process and read this chapter
first!

PRIVATE MESSAGE — RORY!

" dweam "

dweam, wory

dweam
I miss you :(

wory
call me then??

dweam
I don't want to interrupt your family time

wory
Will left like 3 hours ago, you're good
please call me I miss you too :(

dweam
haha, simp

wory
hey google, how do I block my best friend?

dweam
KIDDING KIDDING IM CALLING

wory
haha, simp

"I'M WORRIED ABOUT YOU," Dream said immediately. Rory frowned as he settled on the couch, Newt curled up beside him, sleeping peacefully. "I— your Spotify, you know, you've been— it's just been Heather and Line Without a Hook since everything that happened."

"Maybe I just like the songs," Rory said defensively.

"You listened to Jubilee Line on loop for 3 days."

". . . Okay, but I'm fine now," Rory promised. "Honestly. Having everyone here really helped. I'm more concerned with how Techno is, you know? But I can't . . . I can't bring myself to text him. I don't know what his mental state is and I don't want to make it worse," he explained softly.

". . . Are you safe right now?" Dream asked hesitantly. Rory resisted the urge to roll his eyes, having heard that question more than enough times. He knew Dream was just being concerned, and Rory couldn't exactly blame him considering he dropped off the map after what Techno said, only talking with the people that the familytwt fandom consisted of. He knew that Dream and Sapnap were especially worried and made a mental note to talk to the Texan later on.

"Yeah, I'm safe," he assured, pressing the back of his free hand to his forehead as a wave of tiredness overcame him. "I think I'll sleep well tonight. I'm exhausted."

"Don't take a nap right now," Dream scolded. "Then you're gonna just stay up later. That also means no coffee, mister."

Rory rolled his eyes. "Okay, Dad," he teased. "How's the baby? Is it a furry or colorblind?"

"Both."

"Wow, a threesome? Get it, white boy."

Dream wheezed in surprise, his phone dropping out of his hand as he slammed his palms against his desk. Rory tried not to laugh, though little snickers escaped every now and then as Dream sounded like he was going to die from laughing so hard.

"Rory—" he gasped, picking up his phone. "I—"

"You're deflating, Dream." Rory commented, which caused another round of laughter.

Dream calmed down after a few minutes, though sometimes he'd let another giggle slip despite how he tried to contain himself. Eventually he took a deep breath and cleared his throat, clearly intent on getting back to business. Rory got comfortable, figuring this would take a while.

"Okay, okay, I— so you're good?" Rory hummed in agreement. "Have you forgiven him?"

Rory hesitated. Had he forgiven Techno? He was worried about Techno and he hated thinking about Techno being alone and hurt more than he hated what Techno had said to him. At the same time . . . the pain that flared up in Rory's chest everytime he thought about Techno insulting him made it hard to breath. He couldn't just forget that. Could he forgive?

He reckoned he could. It would be hard for him to trust Techno again, but Rory could forgive him.

That was a start.

"Rory?" Dream prompted.

". . . You know, I never got to congradulate you on thirteen million," Rory remembered, trying to change the subject. Dream sighed, not liking that answer, but assured Rory that it was okay; he would never be mad at Rory for taking care of himself first.

A knock on the door caught Rory's attention. He frowned, pulling himself up. Newt stirred, looking up at Rory tiredly. "Hold on, I think Will back, he must've forgotten something," he announced, getting up. His feet dragged across the carpet, socks and wool creating static. "Might've been his shoes."

"Leave him outside, it'll be funny."

Rory sighed as he opened the door. "No, Dream, I'm not—"

The phone nearly dropped out of his hand.

"Rory?" Dream asked, hearing everything go dead silent on the other side of the line. "Rory, talk to me, are you okay? What's going on?"

Rory could feel his hands shaking. "Nothing. I'll call you back."

"Rory—?"

Rory hung up the call. Just like so long ago, a lifetime ago, even, he had to look up due to the height difference, though since the last time Rory had seen him, there was a clear power difference, one that made Rory feel sick. He was wearing new clothes, a different style, though Rory wasn't sure when he'd changed things up.

It had been so long.

Rory wished it had been longer.

Rory wished he'd never have to see him again.

Rory sucked in a sharp breath. "What the hell do you want?" he whispered, wishing that Will hadn't left the goddamn apartment. He could feel tears beginning to gather behind his eyes, the first time he'd cried the incident, the first time in a while, actually. His heart was racing, hands shaking as he trembled, though he desperately attempted to hide it.

"I wanted to make sure you were alright," he said, concern coating his tongue. "I heard what happened, I just— it didn't feel right to leave you alone."

Rory bit back an insult. "That's so nice of you, but I'm okay. Really. You shouldn't have come all the way here, you have my number for a reason."

"Rowan," Henry said softly, placing a hand against his cheek and trailing his fingers along Rory's jawline.

Rory flinched at the contact and the way the name sounded toxic coming from the man in front of him. He froze, unable to move away as he shuddered at the touch, physically wanting to curl in on himself and hide in a ball.

"I'm just here to help."

Oh, God, why had he hung up on Dream?