30. NOT-NERDS

A/N: That's me right there, feeling totally generous at this moment.

School is very much torturous considering how I must look at Nikhil and appear as if everything's fine, not to leave out the knowing looks DQ would throw at me when Nikhil and I were together in her proximity.

Mia seems to have caught on that something's wrong with me with all those accusatory glances she throws at me from the corner of her eyes.

Nevertheless I try and be my sarcastic, SUPERNATURAL-fan-girl, punny self without eliciting too much suspicion.

The classes are almost empty because almost half of the high school population hadn't come to school on the basis of 'studying for finals'.

Studying for finals, my ass.

Don't get me wrong, some really do study while taking such day offs. But there are some kids who give this reason just for the sake of taking a day off.

And I know very well that I won't study for the entire day without break so I know better than to skip school on that basis.

On these days, Nikhil comes to school only if I do and I come to school if he does, considering how we never saw a purpose to come to school if we can't hang out.

Okay, so school is for studying, but you can't help it that we're knit too close.

Not anymore though...

Off you go to the corner of my mind.

Reducto.

But everyone from my friends group have turned up to school, especially Ved because he was a JEE student, epitome of discipline and all that shit.

The best part, DQ has also turned up. Fan-friggin-tastic!

Note the sarcasm.

After managing half of the day without any doubtful questions towards me, I sit with my friends after Harsh invited Ved over to sit with us—which Ved gladly accepted—and I can't help but think about the tiny happy world that is my friends and the upcoming disaster which is me.

"Hey, you're oddly too quiet. What's up?" Nikhil asks me.

First Mia, now Nikhil. Great! You gotta work on your poker face then.

"No, it's nothing. I'm fine, Nikki." I wave him away dismissively.

"Oooookay? You know you can talk to me right?"

"Yeah. I know." I send him a smile and he beams in response before smooching my cheek earning a chuckle from me.

I look around our table with the smile still on my face but it falters and reality comes rushing back as I catch sight of DQ looking at me skeptically from a few tables over.

Taking a deep breath, I look away from her, not before she mouths '1 week'.

Is she the ring ghost or what?

I'll take that ghost over DQ any day.

"We're still on for Sunday right? Or do you guys wanna go this weekend or something because of the finals prep?" Ved suddenly asks.

Shit, totally forgot that!

"We're not those bury-our-head-into-the-book kind. So no issues, we're still on." Nikhil replies with a nod.

"Yeah, we aren't like those nerds and all, man." I offer to which everyone glances at me with a look that clearly says 'Yeah right, you aren't a nerd, sure'.