Return to Hogwarts

I had not been expecting to return to Hogwarts with Draco, so I spent the entire night packing my things. The next morning, after sleeping for barely three hours, I dragged myself out of bed and got myself dressed. I wasn't quite sure how a teacher's assistant was supposed to dress, so I decided on a simple pleated black skirt and stockings, a white collared shirt, and a dark green sweater on top.

After a quick breakfast of berry parfaits and pumpkin juice, I grabbed my bags and said goodbye to my parents as I left the manor. Although I wasn't particularly thrilled about being Snape's assistant, I couldn't help but feel a jolt of happiness as I made my journey on the Hogwarts Express, a train that I never thought I would ride again. Draco spent the entire trip grumbling about classes and "that insufferable Potter and his friends" , while I mentally prepared myself for working with Snape. I expected it to be quite the experience.

I didn't see Snape until I got off the train. He was walking quickly across the platform, his long black cape flowing dramatically behind him. I felt a sudden wave of nervousness wash over me, but I ignored it and jogged over to him.

"Hello, sir," I panted, having to keep a quick pace to keep up with his long strides.

"Malfoy," he replied without even turning to look at me. "Did you enjoy the trip here?"

"Uh...yeah, yeah, it was fine," I said breathlessly. "Do you think we could maybe slow down a bit?"

"You're my assistant, not my dog," he said in a curt tone. "You don't have to follow me at my heels. Go find Mcgonagall, she will show you to the Hogwarts staff sleeping quarters and get you settled in."

With that, he quickened his pace even more and left me standing in the middle of the pathway, feeling annoyed and slightly humiliated - two emotions that I was quite used to feeling around Snape.

I found my way inside Hogwarts, and found Professor Mcgonagall almost immediately. She was directing some first-years, looking quite frantic and stressed. As soon as she saw me, though, her face lit up and she enveloped me in a warm embrace.

"Lyra!" Mcgonagall exclaimed as soon as she pulled away. "Oh, it's so nice to see you here again. When Severus informed me that you were going to be working for him this year, I was so happy!" She smiled warmly. "You were always my favorite Slytherin, you know," she added in a softer voice.

I laughed. "And you were always my favorite professor," I said. "I'm so happy to be back."

Mcgonagall placed her hand on my shoulder. "Well, come with me now, I'll show you to your room."

After following her through long, winding hallways and down many sets of stairs, we arrived in a corridor that had many doors, all of which were marked with small golden plaques that had different names on them.

We passed about 10 rooms, before stopping in front of a door directly next to a room with Snape's name on it. The door had a golden plaque; however, there was no name engraved in it. Mcgonagall lifted her wand, and with a slight flick of her wrist, "Lyra Malfoy" was etched onto the metal.

"There we go," she said, sounding very pleased with herself. She dug in the pockets of her jacket before pulling out a small golden key, which she inserted into the shiny door handle and twisted firmly. I heard a loud click, and the door swung open.

Inside was a dimly lit room that contained a small desk and chair, empty bookshelves lining the walls, and a burgundy carpet that smelled slightly of smoke.

"This is your office," said Mcgonagall, gesturing around the room. "And through here," she said, walking through the office towards a second door on the right side of the room, "is the door to your bedroom."

I followed her into the bedroom. As expected, there was a bed, next to which a small nightstand sat. There was a dresser against the wall, a couple of lamps, and another door, that I assumed led to the bathroom.

"It's nothing too fancy, but should do," Mcgonagall said. "Get yourself settled in, and then please join everyone in the Great Hall for dinner."

"Thank you," I said with a smile.  With that, Mcgonagall left the room and shut the door firmly behind her.

After unpacking my things and freshening up, I left my room to go to dinner. As I stepped out into the hallway and turned out of my room, I bumped into someone, hard, and fell directly onto my ass.

I looked up, my cheeks burning fiercely, and found myself staring directly at Snape. Fuck.

He raised an eyebrow. "Watch where you're going, young lady," he said in an icy-cool tone.

I looked down, overwhelmed with embarrassment. "Yes, sir," I muttered. I began to scramble to my feet, but Snape offered me his hand, which was an unexpected gesture. After a moment's hesitation, I took it, feeling my heart rate increase and my stomach suddenly fill with butterflies upon feeling his cold touch.

He pulled me firmly to my feet, and then let go of my hand and walked to his room, with no further discussion. As he closed the door, my heart began to slow down, and I regained my composure.

It was only then that I realized that Snape had just given me... butterflies? No, no, that couldn't be right. I had just confused that with nervousness, and the embarrassment of falling down in front of him. Yeah, that was definitely it.

Right?