You're The Only One

Not the most exciting chapter but hey, it's needed for the plot ✨

"Hoseok, you really don't have to do this. You've been nice enough already."

"Nonsense." Hoseok threw another blanket Jeongguk's way, his arms already filled with a tower of blankets about to topple over. "We have a spare room and my parents are barely ever home anyway. It'll be nice to have some company."

Jeongguk glanced behind the blankets to the warm room around him, Hoseok's room completely different than he had expected it to be. Another blanket was piled on top of the tower. "This is really too much."

"No, it isn't, shut up."

"No, I'm serious, these are too many blankets." The tower toppled over, the soft thud finally making Hoseok turn around. "It's really not that chilly."

Hoseok frowned and started picking the blankets back up, throwing the now unfolded cloths over his shoulder. "This house is colder than you'd expect it to be."

It was already giving off more warm feelings than the motel room had ever given him. It didn't matter if he'd freeze to death at night, he'd be in a soft bed, in someone's actual house. Maybe he could finally catch some sleep tonight.

Hoseok finally closed the closet he had magically gotten all the blankets from and wandered to his phone. "I'm ordering some food for dinner. Do you have any preference?"

Jeongguk had walked over to the room opposite of Hoseok's, the room that was his for the moment. "Oh- no not really, you can choose."

If he could order anything in the world it'd be Taehyung's home made noodle soup with marinated ribs on the side – Taehyung's grandmother's recipe. For a short second he wondered if Taehyung would be eating this tonight or if the man had stopped cooking full course meals now there was no one with him.

How do you know there's no one with him?

Jeongguk felt his heart throb painfully. No, he couldn't think like this. He had to focus on the main problem at hand; accepting himself. By accepting Hoseok's offer to stay at his house – which meant they were kind of friends now - he had already taken one step forward, a good step, hopefully a step that would be repeated.

Hoseok slid his phone from his back pocket and went out of the door. "Alright, is pizza fine with you?"

Jeongguk glanced up from where he was throwing the warm blankets on top of his bed. The bed was big and comfy looking. His bag with clothes had been thrown to the corner, his clothes unwashed and a messy pile of stench. "Of course."

He really had to repay Hoseok sooner or later. The boy had taken him into his home and was feeding him- they had been enemies not even a month before.

»»————- ♡ ————-««

Jeongguk wasn't used to walking together with someone to school. He was used to sitting in the back of the bus, headphones on and dreading the day ahead. Hoseok was cheery in mornings, whistling a tune in the crisp morning air. Jeongguk felt the cold seep into his thin jacket – the only jacket he had brought with him when leaving Taehyung's home.

Winter was nearing and with that the holidays he always spend together with Taehyung were around the corner as well. He hoped he'd see the man before that but he could make no promises.

Hoseok and Jeongguk walked into school together and people couldn't help but stare. Jeongguk tugged at the strap of his backpack, feeling nervous all of a sudden. Why did people care so much about what other people did? Couldn't they turn their back and talk about their own problems without involving him into it?

"They can't believe we aren't at each other's throats yet." Hoseok chuckled warmly, his gaze flickering to Jeongguk's uncomfortable expression. "Don't mind them. Their lives are too boring so they have to find amusement in other's discomfort."

Hoseok was probably right, but that didn't mean that it made Jeongguk feel much better when everywhere he looked, eyes were staring right back at him.

At least during class he could sit in the back and stare at the back of the heads of all his classmates. At least there he could push away the thoughts he had about Taehyung and think about school instead- how ironic it might sound. Now that he had something to avoid thinking about, he was doing better in school.

When the bell at the end of the day rung he was almost sad that he couldn't lose himself in his algebra lessons anymore. "Hey!" Hoseok popped up behind him, wearing a bright smile. "I didn't get caught sleeping during Chemistry, can you believe that? Today must be a good day."

"Hearing you say that, doesn't sound too promising", Jeongguk joked, watching the other frown playfully.

They sauntered through the school gates, heading home. Jeongguk watched the kids at the bus stop look confused as he didn't go their way. Normally he'd terrorize the bus ride home whenever he was in a bad mood but now, they would have a peaceful bus ride.

Must be confusing to be them, Jeongguk thought.

"What do you want for dinner tonight?" Hoseok asked, a slight jump in his step. He seemed happier now, much happier than whenever he was bickering with Jeongguk in the hallways, the two boys practically hating each other's guts.

"Whatever you want." He was still craving Taehyung's homemade food.

Hoseok seemed to be content with that and the silence that followed ensued until they made it back into Hoseok's house. Jeongguk dropped his backpack by the door as he kicked off his shoes and felt a comfortable spot on the couch, face stuffing into the fluffy pillow.

Hoseok chuckled as he passed the tired boy and dropped his backpack by the couch as he disappeared into the kitchen. Jeongguk could hear him pull out a packet of crisps from the cabinet and ripping it open as he appeared into the living room again. "Move over fatass."

Jeongguk grunted when Hoseok dropped down onto his legs. "You have three big ass couches here, rich kid. Pick another one." He did pull up his legs when Hoseok lifted his body because he was still allowed to live in his house.

Hoseok threw a chip Jeongguk's way as he munched on another. "This is my favorite one." Jeongguk threw the boy a glare as he grabbed the chip that had landed on his face and ate it. Hoseok turned on the big screen television that was attached to the wall and some tv show started playing, neither boys actually interested in it.

As Hoseok chewed on some more chips he turned to look at Jeongguk. The boy's legs were curled up and he was hugging one of the fluffy pillows against his chest.

"Did you make the biology homework that's due until tomorrow?"

The black haired boy glanced up from where he watching television, his eyes slightly widening as he met Hoseok's gaze.

"Homework? Biology? What!?"

Hoseok started laughing at the other's reaction and bent down to grab his backpack. "Don't worry. I procrastinate a lot as well. Let's make the homework together."

Seems like Jeongguk wasn't that focused in school as the thought he was.

Good luck with next chapter ✨😔✌️