Chapter 26 - "Can I talk to you?"

"Taylor. Tay?"

Hearing Weston's nickname for her but not accompanied by Weston's voice broke Taylor from her tangled thoughts. She tore her gaze away from the physics homework on her lap and found Dominic staring at her. Around them, the library held the absolute silence of the Time Stop. She blinked as if remembering where she was.

"What's going on with you?" Dominic asked.

Taylor frowned. "Who says anything is going on?"

Closing his book, Dominic raised his eyebrows. "Seriously? You've been on the same problem for the last fifteen minutes. I know you're bad at physics but that's long even for you. Besides, this morning you were." He waved his hand about. "Floaty or something."

"Floaty?"

"You know what I mean. So tell me, what's up?"

Sighing, Taylor palmed her eyes, caught between needing to tell someone and not sure whether telling Dominic was the right decision. Dominic wiggled his legs which jostled Taylor's ankles where they were laying across his.

"Come on, it's not like you have a lot of other people to talk to."

Taylor dropped her hands, scowling at him even though he had a point. The number of people she could be completely open with was pathetically small.

"Fine," she said, but paused.

Dominic waited as she mentally held a heated debate with herself. Finally, her loner side won out.

"Clint and I kissed."

"Who?"

Taylor stared at him in disbelief. "The guy I've told you about. The one teaching me self-defense."

"Oh. Oh." Dominic cleared his throat. "Was that a good thing?"

Groaning, Taylor fell sideways onto her backpack and buried her face into the rough canvas.

"I don't know," she mumbled.

She twisted her head so she was looking up at Dominic. He eyed her with confusion.

"How'd it even come about?"

Taylor crossed her arms. "We were training and I teleported him across the room and he got really excited and... we kissed."

Dominic's confusion doubled. "Had he never teleported with you before?"

"No, I mean I teleported him across the room without me going with him."

"Wait, seriously? Have you ever done that before?"

"No."

"Taylor that's amazing!"

Smiling, she pushed herself up, momentarily distracted from her current woe. "It was crazy! It took me forever to even teleport a water bottle a couple of feet."

Dominic leaned closer to her, eager. "Did you even know you could do that?"

"No! I had no clue. But of course, Clint was all like 'your power is in your mind, that means you can transfer it into things' and crazy enough he was right!"

"What's it like?"

Taylor bit her lip, feeling the rush of excitement from the previous day surge through her.

"It was like releasing a butterfly I held in my hand. Sounds weird but that's the only thing I can think of."

"Can you do it now?"

In answer, Taylor snatched her pencil. "Open your palm."

Dominic did as she instructed and Taylor sent the pencil away, directing it to his hand. It disappeared from her grasp and landed in his. Dominic widened his eyes.