Chapter 143: Fantasia

10 Years Earlier,

July 14th, 2014,

Undisclosed Location.

At a particular location non-existent in any known maps, a certain number of man-made structures disturbed what should have been a dense forest untainted by man's hand. Several buildings, some reaching seven stories high, populated a compound large enough to be considered a town or village of its own.

The compound was sectioned off from the surrounding forests by perimeter walls that reached up to fifteen feet high, discouraging the local wildlife from scaling it. The few that managed to climb the wall would find themselves within a narrow road that split the outer perimeter wall from a much smaller one, which only stood at about nine feet tall. Unlike the first, this wall employed a more aggressive defensive approach with electrified barbed wires and smart, A.I. controlled guns atop it. The combination of the two was enough to eliminate any external threat from entering the compound.

Unlike the dense forests outside, the town within the walls was much more civilized, with several paved, networking roads. Sections of the compound were dedicated to agriculture, recreation, and factory production. At the center of the compound stood a towering dome-like structure with large block characters spelling out REBIRTH on its side.

This place's inhabitants did not expect to leave in the short term, so a lot of thought had gone into ensuring it was not only self-sufficient but was comfortable enough to live in over a long period.

Most days, men and women walked into the dome early in the morning and did not come out until way past late into the night.

But today was different.

Despite the blazing midday sun, many men and women stood at the heliport with excitement in their eyes as if awaiting a luxurious gift. Who could blame them? They could finally put everything they had been working on for the past five years to the test! As much as scientists enjoyed delving into theoretical debates, nothing could ever beat seeing their theories pass the test and come to fruition.

Dududu~

The tell-tale sounds of a helicopter's rotors drew the scientists' attention to the skies where several dots began to appear on the horizon. Within a few dozen seconds, those dots revealed themselves to be five of the latest in VTOL choppers, which even the mouths of significant governments would water over.

The scientists shielded their eyes from fierce winds kicked up by the landing VTOLs as the magnificent metal beasts lightly made contact with the landing zone. Several men in military vests hopped out of their bellies before the propellers could come to a halt. Splitting into two, they formed makeshift walls on either side of the helicopter doorway, simultaneously creating a road for whoever was inside.

The scientists perked up as men in suits descended from the crafts, followed closely by the day's actual celebrities. A middle-aged man could not hold back his excitement any longer and cheered loudly as the first child stepped down from the aircraft. Some others joined his cheers, infected by his toxicity, as more children stepped down from the beast's belly.

The children, stunned by the reception, had looks of puzzlements and shock plastered over their faces. Some scratched their heads with embarrassment, obviously never expecting to receive such treatment after their 'abduction.'

However, it was a pity.

If relief did not blind these children after imagining the worst, they might have noticed something quite odd about the scientists' twisted expressions.

Ah, no, wait. There was one child who noticed. Hidden from the bustling clamor made by the scientists who ran over to the children to talk and introduce themselves, a silver-haired child alighted from the rearmost VTOL then just stood at the mouth of the beast, paying close attention to the disgusting expressions on the scientists' faces.