Chapter 55- Mouse Trap

It's been a few days.

The world is carrying on wonderfully, she says sardonically. Bobbing my head to the smooth beat of the instrumental playing through my car speakers. Going over some notes that I took for my next class as I had an exam later in the week.

Sitting in my car in the parking lot of the diner. A plastic container containing a half eaten bacon cheese burger and fries that I would snack on. A vanilla milkshake in the cup holder next to me.

Bubba and Morty are running around in the parking lot enjoying each other company and playing. Baby is cuddled in my lap.

I feel content this way. Enjoying the company of my kids as I handle my responsibilities. But it's harder than I'd care to admit.

I haven't been able to have a single lick of alcohol since everything's been closed down. Six days in purgatory, trudging through most of the day irritated and on edge.

The only thing I've been able to savor is marijuana. And not even the cartridge for my pen, but herb weed. I'd have an easier time with the pen, as I can't exactly start blazing in the middle of my schools cafe.

But despite the irritating circumstance I've been able to cope. I've been playing a lot more video games, and I've started sneaking into the school auditorium to play the piano in between classes.

My fingers playing the melody to songs that I've forgotten, but they remember. Hours and hours of practicing trying to cover up my own loneliness with something that sounded nice.

Even now, I want to keep playing.

I put my notes to the side I dig into my pocket for the little plastic bag. Pulling it out to see freshly rolled up joints resting inside.

The day is bright and airy for a fall afternoon. The air is getting colder, and soon it'll be Halloween. If there is any holiday I can appreciate more, it's Halloween. The darkness, the macabre, the strange and unsettling. It's right up my alley.

The diner was already putting decorations up, and people were already falling into the festivities even though Halloween wouldn't be for another two weeks. Leaning my head against the headrest, I close my eyes and take a deep breath.

Smelling the warm deserts that were now leaving the oven in the diner. Warm pumpkin pies, classic monster chocolate chip cookies, coconut sugar cake. The sweet smell of the baked good hung heavy in the air, and it did amazing in capturing peoples attention as more people moved off their set paths to come to the diner.

People leaving in groups after having paid for their deserts, then I see people that I didn't think I'd see. Freezing in my seat as I see Amber and Alpha Ricky exit the shop.

He held her hand in a tight grip, and I saw her curled into herself in pain. Her hand holding the wrist of the hand he was crushing. Alpha Ricky with a painted smile on his face and a plastic bag in his other hand.

But there he was, looking normal and decent, but Ricky's best talent was lying his ass off.

I watched them walk across the parking lot as Ricky was saying something to Amber. I watched as she gave a shake to her head but he yanked on her arm, and I could hear the mean growl that came from him.

Suddenly Amber stood herself upright and moved properly to his side. She mutters something back but is interrupted by Morty bumping into Ricky's leg.

FUCK!

I moved baby off my lap and hopped out the car. Ricky growled menacingly at Morty making him whimper in fear. Bubba came barking and growling. Barking over and over again at Ricky.