Chapter 1, Reality Check

September 15th, 1998 

Cassidy's POV

    "Aaron, can you believe it? Senior year!" I say, falling back onto Aaron's bed. Aaron smiles, laying back on his bed. I sit up so I don't have to see his face distorted to the side.

    "I know Cassie Mae, what are we going to do? What colleges have you sent applications to?" Aaron asks, and I frown. As much as I love thinking about my future, I don't want to leave Aaron.

    Aaron and I have been friends since the first grade, and our mother's also get along quite well. They've made it their secret mission to have us betrothed. Aaron and I however, leave that alone. We're friends, and only friends, nothing can come between that. The only thing that did however is Haley Brooks, Aaron's girlfriend. Haley doesn't have a problem with him hanging out with me, alone and in his room knowing how close him and I are.

    "Earth to Cassie Mae!" Aaron shouts, as he tasers my sides with his fingers.

    "Ouch you asshole! That hurt! I applied to many, Harvard, Yale, University of Maryland, are the big ones why? What colleges did you apply to?" I ask teasingly, knowing he hasn't applied to any. I poke his arm trying to be funny.

    "Uhm, well I applied to the University of Maryland and Brown University. Why did you think I wasn't planning?" Aaron says, laughing knowing exactly how I think.

    "Hotch, planning? That's a first. I want to be the first one to know when you become an F.B.I. Agent!" I say, scooting closer to Aaron as we often sat on his bed and did homework.

    "How many times do I have to tell you to stop calling me that?" Aaron asks, as he puts his arm around my shoulders.

    "Well, how many times do I tell you not to call me Cassie Mae? So shut up, Hotch." I retort, turning to him scrunching my nose and sticking my tongue out. I might be acting like a five year old, but that's just the way we were. Young, happy, and we had a bond like no other.

    "Rude. Anyways, what time is it? You should probably head home for dinner." Aaron says, as he looks at his watch.

    I get up knowing that's his cue for, "Haley's coming and I don't want you around." I grab my books and shove them into my backpack. Before I could say another word I hear, "Aaron! Your girlfriend's here!" I waved a silent goodbye, and left his room.

    As I hit the stairwell, I see the wretched witch. I mean, Aaron's wonderful girlfriend. "Hey Haley!" I greet her with a smile.

    "Hey, Cassidy. You're not staying?" She asks, and I shake my head.

    "No, not tonight. I have a lot to do and my Mother needs some help. Plus, I wouldn't want to intrude on you and Aaron." I say, and smile. More like you two will probably get it on, and I don't want to be a witness.