Chapter 3, A Talk

Chapter 3, A Talk

September 15th, 1998

Cassidy's POV

    As I decided to take a break from my studies to get a drink of water I heard the doorbell ring. I knew from my intuition that it's Aaron, but I didn't feel like talking. I quickly went back upstairs, and tried to avoid the conversation.

    "Honey, Aaron's here with a surprise for you!" Mom yells from the stairwell, knowing that I don't shut my door completely. Mrs. Hotchner must've given him leftovers to give to me, because she knows how much I love her lasagna. Damn it!

    I walked out of my room, knowing I couldn't avoid this. I see Aaron in the entry-way as he holds the plate of lasagna. "Hey Cassie Mae, can we talk?" He asks, as I walk down the stairs.

           "Yeah, let me get this in the fridge. Tell your Mom I said thank you! I'll probably eat it tomorrow for dinner." I say, and I hear Aaron audibly sigh.

            "Honey, we're going over to have dinner at The Hotchner's, don't you remember?" Mom asks, as I pass by her.

           "Yes, but I'm not going to be able to make it. I have studying to do and I told a classmate I'd help them with our writing assignment." I say, and Mom nods knowing there's no way I'll back out of that.

            "Oh I'm sorry I didn't know. Go have your talk with Aaron, now." Mom pleads, as I put the leftovers in the fridge.

             All I did was nod, and walk away. What could Aaron possibly have to say? The only reason he came was because Haley is jealous, and I have to back away more than likely. 

      By the time I got to the foyer Aaron wasn't there, so I ran up the stairs. I looked into my room, and there he was sitting on my bed. He then saw my curtains toward his room and realized he broke curtain code. "I'm sorry I broke code. My Mom asked me to bring over the leftovers and I really need to talk to you." He says.

     As I look into his eyes, I can see his guilt. Why's he guilty? I don't need pity. "You could've just talked to me tomorrow and left the plate with my Mom. Look, it's whatever you never listen to me anyways." I say out of spite.

     Aaron gets off my bed, and makes his way toward me. "Never listen to you? That's a lie. I wanted to tell you that even though I'm with Haley; we're not going to fall apart." Aaron states. I can see he's starting to get emotional.

      Don't let his puppy eyes get to you. "Is it really a lie? You break curtain code more times than I can count. Also, stop telling lies Aaron. Things are going to change, hell they have already! You might not think that, but it will. It's inevitable, but as long as you're happy right?" I say, getting angier by the second. I can feel the tears welling in my eyes.