Part 24

To say that Eric had freaked out when he saw Demi unconscious on the forest floor would be an understatement. He felt for her pulse and found that it was going way too fast to be healthy. Eric was surprised and relieved that her heart hadn't stopped or exploded. He didn't know how it was possible, but definitely wouldn't be questioning it anytime soon.

He picked Demi up and carried her back to camp. Parker raced ahead to the healer's tent to see how things were going with the kids. Eric was relieved that they would be alright but was still angry that his mate would do something so stupid without even trying to talk to him. Eric only got angrier when he saw open wounds on her back. She'd been attacked.

It was no wonder Demi had taken so long. Gripping her tighter, Eric walked into his tent. He didn't want to let her go, at least not yet, so he laid on the bed shifting Demi so her head was resting on his shoulder. The two stayed like that until Doyle came in.

"Sorry, but some of the families are asking for you and Demi." He said. Eric had told nobody about Demi's disappearance. It would only cause a panic, and if she was coming back there was no need to do that. "Actually all of them are."

"Tell them that Demi is resting and get the twins to come watch her." Eric got off the bed and made sure that his mate was covered with blankets. Tearing himself away from her, Eric made his way to the crowd of parents that looked like they were celebrating something. Probably the health of their kids.

Eric nodded as Parker and Logan walked toward his tent. If she woke up they'd keep her safe. And if she tried to bolt, they'd follow her until he could get there. Eric really hoped that she wouldn't run again. The first time had hurt him more than he cared to admit, even if she was just trying to help the children.

The parents were practically worshiping Demi for what she had done. Eric had to promise multiple times that once she woke up they'd thank her themselves. All the kids looked so much better than they had a few hours ago. Eric wondered what had been wrong with them in the first place. Going over to the grimoire he looked through it again, his eyes landing on the entry after Demi's birth. He had a lot of questions for his mate, and it was about time they were answered.

⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯⇯

Light met Demi when she opened her eyes. The first thought to come to her mind was, Am I dead? No, no she was not. Unless the afterlife looked like Eric's tent and had two large wolves staring at her. Demi nearly had a heart attack when they jumped on her and made happy noises. 

As the twins finally calmed down enough to realize they were practically crushing her, Demi asked, "The children?" Everything she had done was for them. If Demi had failed, she'd never forgive herself.

"They're fine. Perfectly healthy actually." Eric said as he entered the tent. For some reason, Demi's heart leaped into her throat at the sight of him. The twins quickly left and looked like they were laughing, not that wolves can laugh. Or can they? Which left the two of them alone, staring at each, with a million things they wanted to say.

"I'm not going to apologize." Demi started, "I did what I had to, to save the kids." She would never apologize, not for doing her job.

"I wasn't going to ask you to." Eric started to move toward the fire. "I was only going to ask, what exactly happened?" That was an excellent question, and Demi had no idea how to tell him without bringing up her magic.

"Well, I figured out what made the kids sick and then I went to go get the cure. And I ran into a camp of southern fae that are preparing to attack us soon." Demi rambled. She left out many details but got the main things out of the way.

"How many?" Eric didn't sound worried.

"About three hundred. Some smaller clans joined together to try and take you down." Trying to remember important details she continued, "It was three clans to be exact. The first general was short, chubby, and had a babyface. The second general was tall, with a very gangly look. He had greasy hair and seemed to be very old. The third general was blonde, looked young, and had blue eyes." That was about all that Demi had noticed about the trio, besides the fact that the third general looked incredibly familiar. Eric was muttering the details under his breath, clearly trying to put names to her descriptions.

He seemed calm, even though we'd be outnumbered by a hundred, "What was wrong with the kids, and how did you suddenly figure out the cure?" Changing the subject, smooth move. Demi tried to ignore it but wondered why he didn't want to talk about the southern fae that were going to attack the camp.

"When I was asleep I remembered the cure for parasites, which is what was wrong with the kids. They had been infected with them." Demi wasn't sure how to explain the parasites, "The things that infected them were magically commanded by one of the southern fae, that's why their condition got to one point where it didn't get better or worse." It was a biological attack that was dirty and dishonorable.

"How'd you figure out that they were parasites." Demi looked into his eyes and saw plans going through his mind. He hadn't worried over the attack because he was trying to keep her from worrying. Stupid fussy fae. But Demi would indulge him.

"I figured it out right before I passed out." Demi figured it out using magic, and she still wasn't ready to tell Eric about that. Avoiding the question she asked, "What are you planning?"

"Why'd you pass out?" Insufferable male. If he wanted to leave Demi out of planning then fine, but she definitely wouldn't be answering his questions. She got out of the warm comfy bed and pulled her boots on, then her coat, "Where do you think you're going?" A bit of anger was in Eric's eyes making Demi nervous.

"Healer's tent. I have an attack to prepare for." Why was he angry? Before she could ask, or he could say anything Demi walked out of the tent. She knew that it was a bad idea to turn her back on an angry male, but at the moment Demi had other things to worry about. Not hearing him follow, but knowing that he was there, she rushed to the healer's tent. At the moment Demi really needed a bath and a change of clothes, but she didn't know when the attack was going to be.

Entering the tent she was attacked by an array of squeals, crying, yelling, and hugging. Little hands clung to Demi's legs, saying thank you over and over. And before she knew it she was laughing like never before. Family. That's what these people had become to her. And she'd be damned if anything happened to them.