17 | Pureblood

Y/N

_

I NEVER THOUGHT I'D be sneaking off to the dungeon in the middle of the night, just because Draco Malfoy told me I left something in Snape's classroom.

I know for a fact I didn't leave anything, because I never had anything missing, and the sly look on his face was too obvious to imply this was nothing but another one of his clever ploys.

As the heel of my shoes clicked against the marble floor, I twisted the ring on my thumb nervously. I liked his ring. It made me feel just a little bit closer to him, if not just like him, and that left a drifting thought on my mind.

"Okay, then," I said, coming to a stop, "I'm here."

And I was there.

In front of Snape's classroom—which was locked, by the way—alone in an empty corridor, well past curfew. Draco was nowhere to be found, neither was anyone else, and I suppose my brain disappeared with them.

Why am I here?

Why did I think this was a good idea?

Why did I expect something—

"To your left," a voice hissed, knocking my soul out of me for a moment, "down the hallway, and towardsss the fountain."

Spinning around, I noticed that I was still alone. The voice seemed to have come from somewhere in the walls, which was a terrifying thought considering the last time something like that happened, but the worst part was that it sounded like a....snake.

"To your left," the voice said again, "go to your left."

Welcome back to another episode of 'me about to die'.

It was a completely stupid decision, but I decided to follow the instructions of the snake voice, striding silently down the hallway. Maybe I should have done it cautiously, but I was too jumbled by nerves to care.

Turning down the stone hallway, I began to approach a pool of water, a fountain spitting out clear liquid from it's spout. Behind the structure was a giant metal door, a multi-headed snake clasped over the lock.

So...I had been led to the Slytherin Common Room.

"Oh," the voice said abruptly, "another one of Mr. Malfoy's friends, issss it?"

This time I realized the voice was coming from the door itself. The metal hydra was speaking, like a tiny version of the basilisk from second-year. Totally not horrifying.

I blinked, "another?"

The snake let out another hissing noise, breaking away from the door to jab it's neck in the direction of my hand. I turned down, staring at the flashy silver band I was wearing.

"Did you really ttthink you were the only one to use that ring?" It hissed, letting out a cackle, "how foolishhh could one be?"

I furrowed my brows in disrespect, taking a step away from the snake. He was implying something I didn't expect, something I didn't want to expect, and I was questioning my reason for coming here a whole lot more than before.

But before I could respond, the sound of someone's leather shoes hitting the floor came springing up from behind me.

"Piss off, Pureblood," the voice said, growing louder by the second, "just let her in."

I knew it was Draco, but I was too concerned at the Snake's previous remark to turn my head. Maybe I was also annoyed. According to the snake,  I wasn't the first girl who was given the ring, and that feeling of pride washed away as quickly as it had come.