Ch. 60- Stand by Me

Touya's POV

We left quickly with only a set goal in mind, we had to find the base and gather absolutely everything we could for the heroes.

I was as cool as possible, glare icy and calm, while the two next to me had tensed up to the point of near suffering. Their lips pressed together, they panicked with every step they took but never wavered against the cement beneath us. They never stopped or even considered going back, they were each other's strength, and despite everything at stake, as long as they were together they'd be ok.

I wish I had that, but my fear of getting anyone else involved with this refuses for me to even ask or mention it, especially to anyone like Shouto, Izuku, Tomura or the like. I'd literally rather die.

But, even it I have no one to ground me, I'd never leave these two behind, how could I? Years of running from my own family's problem, leaving without a trace from the league, I could never let myself do it again, no matter how dangerous the mission.

And honestly? to hell with anyone who thinks I'd completely leave these two alone on a mission so deadly. I'm aware how capable they are, unbroken wills and a deadly determination, with great strength to top it off... but even then... I guess it'll take more than above-average strength to take down the Hassaikai... even if they're all backups, or aren't as thoroughly strong or well-trained as the previous bullets,

Overhaul now knew what death felt like.

He felt the despair. He was force-fed each of our own vengeances, from the sickly-sweet flavor of Toga's, the charred resentment of me, Jin and Sako's sourness so permeating it was no longer a flavor, only pure pain. The bland mush of Shuichi's emptiness, and the overwhelming scent of rot that Tomura radiated. His was the pungent scent of rotting steak left out overnight, alone and blackened. Blood coagulated angrily into a geltin, disdain progressed into an unadulterated want... no... a need to maim. To cut off chunks of pride and skin, shear away bones of accomplishment, prod and dissect the veins of thoughtless victory. Ingest it as your prey, and never let the flavor leave.

Walking ahead of the two with a fake air of confidence gives me the best position possible to see what they look like;

A wreck.

At first glance, they look normal. Exceedingly normal. So regular it was robotic, and that's exactly what's wrong. Their eyes held so many flowing emotions at once that there was no chance of discerning even a single one, the excess of feeling creating odd normalcy where, even in the pivotal point of chaos, it looked blank. The eye of a hurricane, the vastness of a crashing ocean, genocide and war. An abnormal that you become so used to, it is your normal.

Their tightened lips, tensed shoulders, heavy limbs..

They weren't ready.

How could anyone ever be?

"We'll get back, and a midnight run to Taco Bell is on me." I give them my most sincere grin, and it works. While not exploding with joy, they have something to look foward to beforehand at least.

"If we successfully all the info we can on the Hassaikai, could I get the large order of cinnabon bites?" Kaminari looks at me with too much smugness to be legal.

"God, do you think I'm made of money?... but I guess if you do a good job." I reluctantly say and ruffle his hair.

He was shaking.