(44) Kathie Jane

Kathie Jane

Kathie Jane

Kylie crouched down the floor of Audrey's office where I was lying like a limp noodle and offered me a to-go cup. "Do you maybe want to lie on the sofa? It's cleaner."

"I don't know what to do."

"I can help you out." She volunteers.

I smiled at the sight of her cute, embroidered skirt. "I think I can find the sofa." I push myself into a sitting position and staggered to my feet. I towered over her even in my bare feet.

Kylie offers a comforting smile. "Coffee?" She offers the cup I haven't taken yet.

I tentatively wrapped my fingers around the cup and slumped on the sofa. "Thank you, Kylie."

"You're welcome. Are you, uh, okay though?" She asks hesitantly, the lovely bow behind her dark hair, tilting to one side as she did her head.

I put on my brightest smile. "I'll be fine."

I have half of mind to go to my sister's and do a profuse spilling of guts accompanied by hysterical sobs. I heaved out a sigh. I can't possibly tarnish everyone's excitement to her nearing due date.

"Audrey will be back from her meeting in five minutes or less."

As if on cue, the doors of her office opened and stepping in is the prim and proper Audrey with her tight bun of platinum blonde hair. She strutted inside in her nude skyscraper heels and conservative dress. "He'd been back for three days and he only decided to see you on the third day?" She blurts out, the thud of her coffee cup on her desk expressing the indignance that her always-composed demeanor refused to show.

"Yes." I shot up a hand.

Kylie's gaze bounces from to me to Audrey. "Okay, I, um, I think I'm gonna go back to my desk."

"Kylie, can you ring Jessica again? Tell her if she doesn't make it in three minutes, I'm canceling red velvet cupcakes." Audrey approaches me on the couch, giving me a one-arm hug.

Her assistant nodded before leaving the room to give us some privacy.

Audrey touches my cheek. "You'll be okay."

I sent her and Jessica a very detailed text message about the thing with Owen. We decided to meet up at Audrey's office and talk. Yes, even when I've already poured all the details over the text.

The doors swung open and Jessica rushed in. "Don't you dare cancel the cupcakes." She pouted at Audrey and then turned to me, face dramatically shifting to someone ready to go to war. "He doesn't have the balls to see you the moment he got back?"

The vulgar speech made me laugh a little. "I'm over it. Besides, that's not why I needed to see you guys. Well, that could be one of the many reasons. But still."