(48) Kathie Jane

Kathie Jane

Kathie Jane

Ethan brings me a blanket and a bowl of chocolate chip ice cream. He carefully laid the blanket over my legs, tucking the edges so it wraps me completely. He climbs in the lounge chair, pulling me into a hug.

It was a clear afternoon and a dive in the pool was tempting but I'm too sad to take off my sweatpants.

"Baby, this so sweet. Thank you." I draped an arm around him, the other holding the bowl of ice cream.

He pulls back an inch to look me in the eyes. "I do this with mommy all the time. It makes her feel better when she's sad."

"This feels nice." I tweaked his nose, scooting to the side a little to make more room for him. I fetch a spoonful of ice cream from the bowl and ushered the spoon into my mouth.

Ethan looks down at his fingers. "Aunt Kathie, I know you're sad."

The ice cream was a cold glue all of a sudden.

He gazes back up to my face, his eyes moist. "Is it Uncle Cade?" His voice came out with a strain. He looked like he was about to cry out of disappointment if Cade really did hurt me. Like it would break him if Cade tarnishes the hero Ethan carved him to be.

"No, sweetie."

Ethan actually sighed in relief.

A smile blossomed on my lips. "I'm just sad because I miss him."

"Uncle Cade?" His eyes actually lit up.

I nodded. "Yes."

"Is it because you're staying at our house for a while and you can't see him? I can tell daddy to make him come over. He can stay too. We can share my bedroom."

I broke into a chuckle. "That's a brilliant idea, baby. But your Uncle Cade is a really busy man."

"But you miss him and it's making you sad." He pouts.

"It's okay. I'm just gonna hug him so tight when I see him and then we'll be happy. For now, Aunt Kathie's going to drown her sorrow in this ice cream."

"Cuddles?" Ethan stretched his arms out for me. Only dropping back down to his sides a second later, his eyes over my shoulder sparkling. "Uncle Cade!" He jumped off the lounge chair and headed to the sliding doors behind me.

My heart thudded.

With shaking fingers, I placed the bowl of ice cream on the lounge chair, straightening my wrinkled sweatshirt. I almost tripped when my ankle caught the blanket.

There I was standing in a shapeless sweatshirt and sweatpants, blanket hanging off to the side of my right leg. Not to mention the bedhead mess of the hair I hadn't washed since yesterday.

My eyes trained on my heavily pregnant sister who ushered him in and then Ethan holding a hand I wish were holding mine instead.

His gaze was wary when they meet mine.