CHAPTER 13 HIS COUSIN

"Oof!" I bellowed in agony, causing Arron to spin on his heels and rush towards me like a hero in a cheesy rom-com. His eyes landed on my injured leg, and he dashed over like a professional medical expert."What on earth happened? Are you alright?" he asked, his forehead furrowed in concern while gently caressing my sprained foot."I slipped and fell, duh," I said, gritting my teeth as I tried to fight back tears. Blood was also making an unwelcomed appearance on the scene."Why must you always play the art of clumsiness so well, love? Can't you keep a hold of yourself?" he scolded, staring at me with a raised eyebrow and a stern face.I grimaced and shot him a dirty look. "Excuse me, sir, but I don't believe I signed up for a graceful ballerina career. Accidents happen, you know," I retorted with a touch of sarcasm.He chuckled and shook his head, clearly unimpressed. "Keep telling yourself that, butterfingers," he teased, knowing fully well he had the upper hand in this banter.As my shoulders sagged in pain, he gave my leg another once-over, rubbing it gently. I closed my eyes, fighting off the agony like a champion lip-biter."I'll take you to your room," he said, and I swear I tasted his scent on my lips. Next thing I knew, I was nestled against his broad chest, hands clutching at his neck.Once we made it to my room, he laid me down on the bed. I adjusted myself while he fetched the ointment, his tender touch taking great care not to hurt me. His beautiful blue eyes were filled with concern, making me forget for a moment that he probably wanted to throttle me. Oh, Aaron, the devilishly handsome man who despises me.But just as he was about to leave, I managed to mumble, "Um, Aaron."He turned around with a casual "Hmm?" as if he wasn't just tending to my wounds like some medieval knight."Hey, could you do me a favor and grab my PJs from the closet? My legs aren't cooperating today," I asked him carefully, uncertain how he'd respond.He gave a small nod and made his way over to my closet, returning with my vibrant pink and super comfy sleepwear."Thanks so much. Hey, do you mind bringing them a little closer? I don't think I can reach from here," I asked sweetly, feeling mischievous.I couldn't resist teasing him a bit, curious to see how long he could keep his cool. As he handed me the pajamas, I leaned in and quickly pecked his cheek with a kiss.He looked at me with surprise and quickly stepped back, but a small smile tugged at the corners of his lips."Thanks, my love," I responded casually."I want to make something clear. We're not actually married," he said icily while exiting my room. "Understand that I despise you and don't ever try to be my spouse or come near me."

*********

As I slowly came to, I was bathed in the warm glow of the sunbeams streaming through my massive bedroom window. Ah, the life of luxury. I arose from my bed like a queen surveying her kingdom, and quickly assessed the state of my injured ankle. Miraculously, it seemed to be on the mend. Phew. A glance at my trusty wall clock revealed the horrifying truth. 11 a.m.?! I must have been sleeping like a baby all morning. Panic set in as I realized my devoted boyfriend Aaron had surely left for work hours ago. How was I to prepare his lunch now?! Just as I was about to unleash a string of colorful expletives, my dear maid Amy came bustling in with a tray of breakfast and a few helping hands. Thank goodness for domestic staff. She beamed at me and asked how I slept, as if "sweetheart" was a term of endearment I had ever allowed anyone to call me. But that's the price of being high-maintenance and wealthy, right? I hoisted myself up next to the feast laid out before me, and greedily took in the delicious smells wafting up to my nostrils. One of the other maids appeared, brandishing a bottle of painkillers like it was holy water. They really did think of everything. Amy shooed the others away, and I dug in with gusto. Life was good, all things considered.

A sly grin crept across Amy's face as she queried, "How was your beauty sleep, darling?" Settling my meal beside my bed, she shooed away the other maids with a flick of her wrist."Uh oh, I overslept! Aaron left for work without me making his lunch. Did he even eat breakfast?" I fretted, voicing my concerns to Amy."Slow your roll, sweetheart," she soothed. "Your husband's already off to the office, with a full belly to boot. And might I add, he checked in on you before heading out.""Checking up on little ol' me? How quaint," I mused, a cheeky smirk spreading across my face.