24

"Turkish silk dyed naturally, customed and tailored to fit my frame and grace," Pansy Parkinson gloated about the bright pink dress that her mother had sent to her

"Turkish silk dyed naturally, customed and tailored to fit my frame and grace," Pansy Parkinson gloated about the bright pink dress that her mother had sent to her. Millicent 'oohhhed' and 'awwwwed' at her friend's dress. Daphne did the same from the other side of the room as she kept busy doing her friend's make up.
Tracey didn't care and Nel grimaced at the sight, she hated the color pink, it reminded her of Cordelia Wool and all of those other awful people at the orphanage.

"What's that face for Saintday?" Pansy shot from across the room when she saw the twisted expression on her face. "I bet it's better than any rag that you'll be wearing."

Was that a challenge?

Proud of having spent her own savings in the purchase of the most elegant piece of fabric she would probably ever own she decided to show off. Despite Daphne's protest she stood up pulled out a hanged dress out of a large protective bag and with the same hubris showed off the sleek plum colored dress.

"Ha!" Pansy let out a loud snort. "Hideous." She tossed with her best mean mug.

"I actually quite like it," Millicent admitted innocently from her vanity looking back as she curled her hair.

"Really?" Nel arched an eyebrow. "Because Daphne was actually the one that chose it," She smiled at her friend as she put the dress away to return to her chair where the artistic master could finish her latest masterpiece: a perfect Yule Ball look.

"Uh-I-I mean," Pansy sputtered not wanting to diss Daphne's taste. However, it was too late, she couldn't take it back. Her face turned red half from the anger and half from the embarrassment. Feeling overconfident tonight Nel didn't bother hiding her loud sniggering.

"Stuff it Saintday, acting so smug, you don't even have a date for tonight!" She stuck out her tongue childishly before flipping her hair over her shoulder and brushing one of her eyebrows into place.

It was true after Nel's "Date Triangle Fiasco" between Cedric, Draco and Ellar, the girl instead decided she didn't care enough what anybody thought and to own the night by going stag.

Eyes closed as Daphne professionally applied some bronze eye shadow she frowned at Parkinson's words. "May I remind you that it was my decision to go stag. I didn't have to grovel to get a date unlike you."

Ouch.

Pansy had been particularly on edge as of the past few weeks. Like most people in the Slytherin House she had heard the rumors that Nel and Draco were going to the Yule Ball together. First, she asks Cedric then tells him no, then Draco asks her – or did she ask him? She wasn't even sure which rumors were true and which weren't anymore.
Of course, she didn't believe any of them, not until she smelled his cologne on her that one dinner in the Great Hall.

Pansy hadn't had the heart to ask Draco to the ball no matter how much she tailed after him and he hadn't asked her no matter how many loud hints she dropped. However, it seemed that her hints were misinterpreted, and Crabbe thought she wanted him to ask her. Not wanting to bear the humiliation of going to the ball alone, she accepted. That didn't mean she wasn't willing to ditch Crabbe in a heartbeat if she saw a smidge of an opportunity of getting with Draco tonight.