184

Two hours ago I said I was going to bed but look, I'm still up. It's currently two am so this time I mean it, though I'm publishing this first because I love you all and the last chapter was kinda rough.

Goodnight!

-

"You're not leaving."

"I'm not leaving."

"You do not run."

"I do not run."

"You face your problems."

"I face my— Kathy, what's this supposed to be good for?" I asked, plumping onto the bed where Evelyn laid on her back, playing with a rattle.

"You said you wanted to do better." She told me. "You need to believe it yourself. You need to believe that you aren't a runner. This time you're staying."

"He's leaving me." I sighed, running both hands over my face.

"No he's not. He's just angry right now." She said. "He can't leave you. You two are George and Lizzie. Lizzie and George. Everyone at school wanted someone the way you had each other. George will calm down, you can have a civilized conversation where you apologize again for leaving while he apologize for threatening to divorce you."

"He has nothing to apologize for." I said. "Everything he said was true."

I let out a sigh. "It's his birthday. I can't even spend it with him because he won't talk to me."

"Listen." She told me. "George is angry. That's all. I promise you, he does not want a divorce. It's George we're talking about. The same person who snuck you out of the Yule ball because he just wanted to be alone with you. The same George who trusted you so much that when Krum or that Slytherin guy looked at you, he never once doubted you and your loyalty towards him."

I closed my eyes for a moment before looking at little Evelyn. Giggles came from her mouth as she kicked her feet into the air, biting down on the rattle.

"I'm just exhausted, Kathy." I said. "I wish I could take it back."

"But you can't." She told me. "What's important is that you're here now."

I hummed in response.

"Well, I gotta try and put this one down." She said and picked up Evelyn. "She's so hard to get to sleep."

"I should probably go to sleep as well." I said. "Wish me luck."

"Oh, you need all the luck in the world. Sleeping next to your husband who threatened with divorce. Yikes."

"Thanks." I narrowed my eyes at her, making my way towards the door. "Goodnight Kathy, night Eve."

I walked out and down the dark staircase where I passed Lee. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight Liz." He responded. In the living room, George was making the bed and my heart broke when I saw he had made my side of the sofa. It was neat which was the way he always did it. The pillow was placed the way he knew I had to have it.

He glanced at me as I approached the sofa but he didn't say anything.

"Thank you." I said, motioning towards my side while he was still making his.

He didn't respond.

"Happy birthday." I said. My voice was kinda quiet and I sounded weak but I just wanted to hear his voice. I wanted him to talk to me. Anything. Even if he was yelling, even if he told me hated me. I just wanted him to say something to me. "There's this one memory of you that I can't ever forget."

I knew this was a long shot. Talking about our memories. I just needed to try everything to get him to talk to me.

"Your seventeenth birthday." I spoke. "That was three years ago. It feels like a lifetime ago, yet it feels like it's only been a few days. You were being so annoying but in a good way. You kept teasing me, joking around with me and when I confronted you, your said your were allowed to because it was your birthday. You had that cheeky smile on your lips. The playful one. I told you a lot of times to stop smiling at me like that but the truth is... that every time you do smile at me like that, I get weak in my knees."

His actions had stopped. He was holding his pillows in his hands, looking down at it as he was obviously listening. But when I was no longer talking, he gently threw the pillow on the sofa. I sighed as I climbed over to where he stood on the other side. I straightened up on my knees and placed my hands behind his neck to pull him closer.

"You can't leave me." I whispered and he closed his eyes. "After everything we've been through. Divorce isn't the solution."

He placed his hands on mine and for a moment I felt hopeful but when he removed my hands from his neck, all of that hope died. He looked me in the eyes— a look that could kill. Then he walked away and towards the door to the bathroom.

Fuck...