𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

(a/n: sad fact: adair is actually a character from one of my deleted stories :.'') It was called Desirous, and no, it won't be coming back. But i might post it on my alt eventually. idk idk. it's well written but I'm never going to complete it; writing it brings back some unpleasant memories and my therapist recommended i stop LMFAO)

Chapter Seventeen

A chance for what?

I didn't have the chance to ask.

"Mr. Adair is hesitant to associate his empire with ours." Came the voice of Father.

"And that, friend, is exactly why I plan on flying over to meet him in a few months' time." Replied Aziel, unbuttoning his vest as he sat down at the table. My eyes were drawn to the movement of his thick fingers; how they slipped that button from the slit in his coat, to how they ran across the smooth fabric to sort out any wrinkles. When he sat, he passed a stare around the table, observing the setting. He smiled at Mother, nodded at Father, and when all attention was directed away from him and I, he winked.

My cheeks flushed and I looked down at my empty seat, hoping the world would swallow me whole.

"I'll convince him to continue on with the project, I assure you." Aziel's words were confident. He sounded like he knew damn well he was telling the truth, but the uncertain curve of Father's brow unsettled me.

"Adair is very particular about who he works with. He built his empire on nothing, he doesn't need us. We need him."

Aziel ran his tongue along his lip, nodding, though I knew from the sly curve of his eye that Father's words were nothing more than that: words. Confident. Aziel was a very confident man.

Father flashed a look at Mother and I, eyeing us. I quickly averted my eyes and Mother did likewise.

"Well, go on then." Father commanded. He clapped his hands. "Let dinner be served."

As a flurry of servants and maids fluttered in and delivered the plates of steaming food, Father leaned over to whisper something to Aziel. "We'll discuss this later."

Aziel nodded. When he set his knife between his strong fingers, he pierced into a steak. I cut into my own chicken, taking small bites. A small dribble of sauce ran down my chin and Aziel smiled, lifting a finger to mirror where it was. I wiped it away quickly, but not quickly enough for Aziel to move his finger to his lips in a swiping motion, licking his finger. Something in between my legs heated. I pressed them together and tried to focus on my meal.

Aziel had no such plans.

"Is Mr. Demoni still a bachelor?" Aziel asked Father, calculatingly steering the conversation in a direction I really didn't want it to go.

"No, no." Father laughed, the deep sound echoing into the massive room. He placed his utensils down to pat his lips with a napkin, shoulders shaking a little from laughter. "He's onto his second wife, now. He'll probably get another in a few months, for all I know."

Second? My brows furrowed in confusion, but I continued to chew my food and focus on that. This is men's talk. Why should you know about it? Don't pay attention, stupid, stupid Romina. You're a woman. You don't belong in the man's world.

"Romina's going to be married off in a few month's, no?" Aziel asked jovially, though the insinuation was anything but. Father stiffened unhappily, and Mother's rosy smile dropped. As if he didn't sense the tension in the room, Aziel continued on with that same sly smile on his lips. I wanted to...to...smack it off? No. There were better methods.

Like...kissing.

I blushed. Aziel saw.

"Wife Three." His gaze was intense on mine. His tone was joking. The matter was not. "I can see it, can't you, Romina?"

Don't make me speak, you moron. "I—"

Father cut me off. He sent a cool look Aziel's way, trying to send a message the receiver did not want to receive.

"And you, Aziel? Still a bachelor?"

Aziel's smirk grew. "Yes."

"Planning to marry?"

You don't know what you're asking him, Father.

"I plan to remain single 'till the day I die."

For some reason, his words made me queasy. I shifted in my seat. When I took a bite of rice, it no longer tasted good in my mouth.

"I'm not feeling well." I said quietly. My words drew all the attention of the table. Aziel's stare went from joking to serious. Mother's was worried, and Father's was questioning. I placed my fork and knife down on the table, hearing that high note ring through my ears as metal hit the wooden table. When I stood up, I was shaky. My knees gave out when I tried to stand, so I caught myself on the table and played it off as pushing in my chair. "Thank...thank you for the meal. I think I should go. Sorry, Mother, Father..." I didn't meet his stare. "Mr. Herrera."

"Feel better, Romina," Mother called after me. I sent a weak smile her way.

"I don't happen to be feeling well either, apologies." Aziel said behind me. I heard him stand.

"Goodness, is it something in the food?" I heard Mother ask.

"Rest well, lad," said Father.

Before I could glance back at Aziel, I was off. When I reached my room, I slammed my doors closed behind me and let my tears consume my body.