Settle

I watched you silently , I watched the way you loved me. 100 poems , more than 1000 words and yet here we are. Face to face , heart to heart and yet you still don't know me. I need more than minimum effort , I need more than sweet texts and a late night craving. I need love , the real kind. The healthy kind. I need you to see me , in all my broken perfection , in all of my shattered beauty. I need you to truly pay attention to me because if not than I'll be on my way.

I know who I am , how deep the depths of my love runs , I know that settling for you would only be hell. I need you to be patient , to be gentle , to touch my wounds like no one else ever has. Because if not , than you're not for me. You can't possibly be mine , I can't possibly settle for just simple old you. There are hints in the songs I love , in the words I write , in the poems that hold secrets my mouth refuses to tell.

You've never really payed attention to detail , how I
could I ever expect you to know me deeply when you barely even know yourself? And as I lay awake , heart as heavy as stone , I realize now that I'd rather stay alone than settle for one human being to which  I am still unknown.

-Liyah Smith