Ch. 47

In which Peter makes a decision.

Early next morning, before anyone was up, Peter crept down the hall.

Backpack in hand, he held a small, wrapped package that he placed softly down in front of Harley's door.

He put a small envelope on top, and backed away, listening carefully for any sounds of movement from inside.

When none came, he let out a soft breath of relief, stepping back, and turning to leave the hallway.

He texted Happy without a second thought, telling him he'd take the train today.

Leaving early as he was, he didn't want the driver to have to make more than one trip.

It was loud, and crowded, and he wished he had sound proof headphones, not for the first time.

He curled over his phone, pressing the first speed dial.

May picked up on the second ring.

"Hey kiddo. I thought you'd be asleep. What's up?"

"Yeah, I couldn’t sleep well. I thought I'd go ahead and go to school today, see Ned. Then I'll be there around four, yeah?"

"You sure? You sound... weird."

"Thanks."

"I mean it, you sound off."

"I'm fine. I just- I kinda messed up."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"What happened?"

"I was a jerk to Harley, and now... I don’t know."

"Did you apologize?

"He went to bed. But I did something... I'm not sure if I should have done it."

"Oh?"

"I got a copy of this movie he wanted me to watch, and I wrapped it up with a little note that said I Owe You, with a thing of his favorite candy, and I did a little card, and I thought it would be like a date? And I put it in the card? That it was a date? And what if he hates it, and doesn't want to do it?"

"Peter. Breathe."

"I am breathing."

"Honey, no you're not. Anyway, I would bet this apartment that he’ll say yes."

"Really?"

"Yup. Either that or we'll be homeless and have to mooch off your dad."

Peter laughed wetly, hugging himself. "Thanks May."

"No problem. Text me when you get out of school, okay? I’ll order in. You can tell me all about the conference."

He swallowed tightly. "Uh... yeah."

"Alright. Love you."

"You too."

The train dropped Peter off at 36th Avenue Station, right next to Midtown High.

He ducked his head against the already bright morning sunlight through the windows, heading down the stairs to street level.

Every step across the football field felt like an eternity, and the looming trees cast shadows that sent a chill straight to his bones.

Peter headed down the sidelines and approached the main building, weaving between all the students that interspersed his walk.

He jogged up another flight of stairs, then as a warning tingle flashed through his body.

The teen jerked back as a horn blared, just in time to avoid being hit by a car, being driven by none other than Flash Thompson.

"What’s up, Penis Parker?"

A ripple of laughter spread, and Peter suppressed a sigh, moving on.

The hubbub of the corridors filled his ears, and he wished once again for noise canceling headphones.

None of the ones invented yet would work for his enhanced senses, although he was fairly sure Tony would try to make some if he asked.

Lost in thought, he was at his locker before he knew it.

He pulled off his jacket with a sigh, entering the combination to his locker with one hand.

Already knowing Ned was there before he spoke, he pretended to be surprised when he heard his friend's voice..

"Join me, and together..." Ned said in a deep voice. "We’ll build my new Lego Death Star."

Peter spun to see Ned holding up a Darth Palpatine figurine. "What? No way!" He laughed giddily. "That’s awesome. How many pieces?"

"Three thousand, eight hundred and three."

"That’s insane."

"I know." Ned grinned. "You want to build it tonight?"

Peter winced. "No, I can’t. I'm at May's tonight, and tomorrow I’ve got lab night, with-"

"Mm-hmm." Ned shrugged. "With your dad. I get it."

"Yeah." Peter scooped up his textbooks, and fell into step with Ned.

"You have a lot of lab nights with your dad. Don't you get sick of him? I get sick of my parents."

"Well, hopefully, soon it’ll lead to a real job there."

Ned squinted thoughtfully. "I mean, he's your dad, couldn't he just give you the job?"

"Ned."

"He’d be all, 'Good job on those spreadsheets, Peter. Here’s a gold coin'.”

Peter gave him an exasperated look.

"I don’t know how jobs work," Ned said defensively.

"That’s exactly how they work." He shrugged. "Except it's less gold, more... cash."

Ned grinned sheepishly.

"And anyway, I'm not getting a job because of who my dad is. I want it because I deserve it, not for any other reason."

Ned smiled proudly. "Look at you being all good and righteous."

They fell into a compatible silence, heading for their first class.

"Anyway." Ned bumped their shoulders together. "I’ll knock out the basic bones of the Death Star at my place. And then I’ll come by afterwards-"

Look at Peter, being all brave and making the first move.

Anyways.

We're getting into Homecoming territory now.

Excited?