Part 44

"Hey, doll." James whispered.

She stirred in her sleep.

"Doll." He called again.

Her eyes creaked open, blinking to adjust to the frosty white light of the window. James was sitting beside her on his bed, still in his pajamas. "Merry Christmas."

She let out a big yawn. "Merry Christmas." She rubbed her eyes with her palms.

"Let's go downstairs."

A low grumble came from her lips, rolling over to face away from him. "Too sleepy."

He ripped the fluffy duvet from her nude body, cold air pricking at her warm skin. Scooping her up into his arms, making her yelp. He tossed her petite frame over his broad shoulder, giving her ass a swat. "James, put me down. I want to sleep in." She whined.

Walking to the closet, he dropped her back down to her feet. "Just get dressed and come downstairs, okay?"

"Okay." She mumbled.

Pulling on one of James' huge sweaters and a pair of fuzzy socks, she padded down to the next floor. Socks sliding over the hardwood floors. Head still clouded with sleep. Her eyes bugged when she saw what sat before her, instantly waking her up.

A pile of gift boxes and bags were crowded around the massive ornament adorned tree in the center of the living room. Sure, there weren't as many as she had feared, but it was still way too much for one person.

Soft festive music played over head. The room smelt like coffee and pine. James stood beside the lit fireplace, holding two mugs in his hands. Looking incredibly cozy. Despite the massive display of presents, to her— he was the most captivating thing in the room.

"I thought we were doing presents later."

He shook his head. "I woke up early and couldn't wait."

She walked over, taking one of the mugs from him, letting the warmth of the ceramic heat up her tiny hands. "James, this is way too many gifts. I thought I told you to hold back."

"This was me holding back."

She rolled her eyes, taking a breath. "I don't even have my gifts for you up here. They're down in the study."

"I can open them in a bit." He shrugged. "I want to watch you open yours first anyways."

His hand slid to the small of her back, marching her towards the pile of luxury goods, all wrapped up for her to dive in. She sat down on the couch, pulling a blanket over her legs, while he knelt on the floor handing her the first one.

The big 'Chanel' logo on the box made her frown. "Seriously?"

"Doll, if you try to argue with me on this one more time..." his voice trailed off, flashing her a stoic warning expression.

She hesitated for a moment, then compartmentalized her worries to the best of her ability. She lifted open the top of the box, revealing a dust bag. Lifting it out, onto her lap, she undid the ties. Pulling out a rose colored, quilted handbag. The double 'C' logo melded onto the silver hardware of the clasp, winking under the lights of the tree.

She gave him a worried expression, wanting to object to the gift. He arched a brow. Thoroughly annoyed with her concerns. Daring her to challenge him.

"Th— thank you." She mustered out.

He let out a loud laugh. Deep from his chest. "Why is this so goddamn painful for you?"

"Because I feel terrible." She dropped her head back. "And knowing you, the gifts will only get more and more extravagant."