n i n e

Ember

THE NIGHT IS LONG AND RESTLESS. Clementine tosses and turns like a mad man. I can't fall asleep, Royal is sleeping soundly beside Clem, which still surprises me. He just seems like the type to snore, but he doesn't. Weird. It's very weird.

He stayed the night, Clementine didn't want him to leave, I don't think I wanted him to either. He's been so helpful and he's been keeping us company. I may not want to admit it, but he's not all bad. I'd never tell him that though, I'd rather gouge my eyes out. Maybe in the morning I can shave his beard. Have Clem help me strap him to a chair. Oh, how fun that'd be. I smile at the thought of a fussing Royal trying to get away from two girls. He'd probably say some snippy ass comment.

I might just have to smack him in advance.

I stare up at the ceiling, tomorrow will be long. Shann and I have to hunt down the man who scarred Clem and shred him to ribbons. I don't give two fucks if I piss off Logon, he needs to understand that a child was abused on his ship. His ship. HE should be the one doing this. Not me! It's his gods damned boat. He's the captain, and he has his head too far shoved up his ass to notice anything. Clem gave Shann and I a description of the man. He was tall and big. It can't be Easton, her description of the man doesn't match Easton. I'm relieved, I really didn't want to go and kill him, he was nice enough to me, it'd be a pity to kill him.

I sigh agitatedly, my head won't shut up and I can't seem to fall asleep. So, I quietly peel myself out of bed. Guiding myself through the darkness. Before going to the door I realize I'm only in shorts and a lace tank top. I glance around, looking for anything to cover myself with. My eyes land on Royal's black sweater, hanging on the hook of my door. I shove my bare feet back into my flats and sling on his sweater, it's huge on me but it's warm, and it covers me.

I slowly open the door, careful not to make any noise and slip out. I glance once, at Clem and Royal sleeping in my bed, her head is on Royal's shoulder. He sleeps with his arms behind his head, golden hair ruffled all over his face. I almost smile at it.

He sleeps in a grey t-shirt and long black sweatpants that are cuffed at the ankles.

Shann gave Clem one of his shirts to sleep in, it looks like a nightgown on her. It's adorable.

I glance at them one last time before closing the door and heading up to the deck. I wrap Royal's sweater more tightly around me as I step outside. The wind and water hitting me in the face. It's a rather large ship, but you can't seem to step anywhere without getting hit with water.

The Moon is full tonight. I can feel him against my shields, asking to be let in. I make my way over to the side of the boat where Royal, Shann and I were earlier. I lean my forearms on the railing, staring across the water. It's beautiful, the water looks pitch black in the night. The stars and Moon are reflecting in the ocean. It looks like a painting. One I wish could be captured. If only I was artistic. That is one skill I'd enjoy.

I sigh contently and finally allow Luan in. Hello Ember. He says, I smile up at him. Hello Luan.

You've never referred to me as Luan before. He observes, I tilt my head to the side. Well, that's your name. Isn't it?

Luan sighs, Yes, it is. I really feel like screaming "Bingo" at his confession. I knew it! I was right! It is Luan talking to me, but why? Why me?

So I ask just that, Why? Why talk to me, you're the God of the Moon! Surely you must have better things to do? He's quiet a moment, so I continue, Yes, sometimes the gods reach out to children, but that's rare. You speak with me every night! Why?