Chapter 26

26 years old successful millionaire and CEO of Eva's and Co., Evelyn White has committed suicide by drowning in a pool of shame in her apartment on Monday night.

Now that would be a good headline. At least the reporters will be benefited by my death. Maybe they'll be more genuine than others while praying for my departed soul, I thought solemnly as I watched the blurry images disappearing behind me.

Okay, if you people are wondering how that thought occurred to me, let me tell you, I was currently in Adrian's car, beside him, in the passenger seat, as he drives, headed to...

His place.

Yup, that's right. And that was the reason I had been wondering if it was possible for someone to die of shame.

Earlier, when I'd finished my works and was headed to the parking lot to get home, the devil was already standing right in front of my building with his stupid car and the already open passenger door.

By now, I don't think I need to mention his irritating smirk. 'Cause it's a given. You just need to assume that he was always smirking until mentioned otherwise. And that otherwise was close to never. Or very rare at the least.

I still didn't know how he managed to convince me, more like lure me into going to his place willingly, but I vaguely remember the mention of hot chocolate and his car. And my greedy self lacking self respect didn't stand a chance.

Damn you, Stone!

I was still cursing the devil and my stupid, greedy, in-need-for-a-solid-whack-against-the-head self when the car came to a stop. I realised that it was only about a twenty minutes drive away from my office.

Not surprisingly, Adrian lived in a penthouse. Surprisingly, his place was very cluttered. By his attitude, one would've thought that he would be a very neat person, a clean freak, even. But the first thing I saw when we entered his living room, besides the boxes of pizza, cookies crumbs, men's clothes and scattered DVDs, was a thong hanging off a leaf of a plant at a corner.

A yellow thong.

I didn't even know yellow thongs existed in the world. Who even chose to wear yellow thong? That was just unappealing in so many levels. Deep down, I felt something piercing in my heart at the sight of that weird female underwear in his living room, which was not a good feeling at all. But I just forced my brain to focus on nothing other than the thong. I mean, the color of the thong.

Adrian let out a string of curses as his eyes followed my cringing ones and his jaw clenched in anger. His eyes looked livid, as of ready to kill someone. Perhaps the housemaid for leaving out that important piece of clothing for laundry, I thought bitterly.

"Seems like your girlfriend left a souvenir for you." I commented and watched as his expression suddenly turned from angry to a horrified one, as if he'd just realised what it looked like from my view.

"Evelyn, it's not... she'e not... I mean, that's not my girlfriend's." He stuttered and I raised my eyebrows. "Oh, so a one night stand then. I didn't take you as a type to bring them home."

His eyes widened even further. "No! I don't bring them home! I mean... that's not my one night stand either!"

"So you're cheating on your girlfriend, then?" I couldn't help blurting that out as it was getting harder for me to accept the truth. I didn't even know why I was feeling this way. It was not like he owed me anything. It was no business of mine if he had a girlfriend or a thousand for that matter.