12

You loaded the last of your bags into Alex's Mini Cooper and closed the trunk with a satisfying slam. Alex was saying goodbye to your parents as she closed the door, tossing a wave over her shoulder. She turned to you next, a wide grin on her face. 

"You ready?" She asked. 

You nodded. "Yup!"

It was finally Friday. You had barely focused in school the whole day, too excited at the prospect that in a few hours, you would be on your way to meet Tubbo, Wilbur, Niki, and most of all Tommy. You'd already spoken to all your teachers and collected the work you would be missing, though you knew in the back of your mind that you wouldn't be doing it until you came back at least. 

Kieran had been excited for you, but a little bummed. "Who am I going to hang out with?" He'd asked. "And what if I need a partner for something?"

You knew he wouldn't really be suffering all that much. And he usually partnered up with Maya anyway.

Alex walked over, dropping into the drivers seat of her car. "Come on then, I want to try and get there before dinner."

You hopped into the passenger side, fastening your seat belt. Only a few more hours and you would actually be there. Well, you would be at the hotel, anyway. And then from there, it was only a matter of time.

Alex turned, resting her arm on the back of your seat as she pulled out of the driveway, the GPS starting up on her phone. "What do we want to listen to?" She asked. 

"I don't know, I figured you would pick." You said.

Alex turned back around, heading away from your house and out onto the road. "Nah, I don't want to blow your eardrums out."

You laughed, pulling out your phone. "Do you have an aux cord by chance?"

"Yeah," Alex said, reaching down and fumbling in between her seat and the center console for a moment, before pulling the cord out. "There's a charger in here somewhere too if you need it." She offered.

You took the cord and plugged it into your phone, going to open Spotify. You scrolled through your playlists, trying to find something that would suit the excitement that had been bubbled up in your chest all day. If only you had made a road trip playlist before you left...

You were interrupted by a notification from Discord. Tommy had sent something. 

You tapped over to the app quickly, reading the message. 

just got here! wilbur and niki are here too and tubbo should be here soon

You sent one back, notifying Tommy that you and Alex had just left and were on your way. Or, at least you were about to, before Alex was driving through a tunnel and your connection died. 

You looked down at your phone with a frown. 

"Can't find anything good?" Alex asked. 

"No, I was trying to tell Tommy that we were on our way, but Internet and tunnels don't mix well." You said.

Alex raised an eyebrow. "You don't have his number?"

You could feel your face heat up a little at that, and you chastised yourself in your head. Tommy was your friend, it would be fine if you had his number. Alex didn't even know about your crush on him-

"What's with the face?"

"What face?" You asked. 

Alex glanced over at you. "The one you just made when I asked if you had Tommy's number."

"I wasn't making a face." You said. 

"You totally were." Alex insisted. "Do you not like him or something?"

No, you thought to yourself, just the opposite. 

And apparently, either Alex could read your mind, or she was just ridiculously good at reading your face, because in that moment, her eyes widened and a grin broke out on her face. 

"Oh no, you fancy him, don't you?" She teased. 

This time, you were sure you were turning bright red. There was no use denying it. "Maybe a little." You said. 

"All the more reason to get his number then!" Alex said. "The you two can stay up late... texting into the wee hours of the night... talking about everything and nothing..."

You smacked Alex on the arm playfully. "Alright, that's enough of that." 

"Just ask him for his number." Alex said. "You can use this weekend as an excuse."

You fiddled with the phone in your hands. You would like to have Tommy's number - scenes filled with random calls at three in the morning and little texts throughout the school day danced through your head. But you didn't want to have to ask. You knew if it was unlikely, but what if Tommy said no? If he would rather stick to Discord? If he just didn't want you, specifically, to have his number?

Your train of thought broke when Alex made a grab for your phone. You jerked it away, clutching it to your chest. "Hey!"

"Just do it already, or I will, and I'm driving!" She said. 

You opened your phone. Discord was still open, and your messages with Tommy looked back at you. You collected yourself. It wasn't that big of a deal.

You typed out the message and hit send before you could agonize over the wording. 

hey could i get ur number maybe? it would probably be easier for this weekend

It was only a minute before you got a response. 

yeah sure

Tommy's number followed. 

You input a new contact into your phone and shot him a text telling him it was you. You were relieved, even thought you had known it was extremely unlikely that he would have said no, and the excitement of having his number just piled on to the rest of the excitement for this weekend. 

"Well?" Alex asked. 

"He gave me his number." You said. 

Alex grinned. "Now you two can fall asleep on call together-"

You hit her playfully again. "Stop! This better not be all weekend-!"

"Alright, alright." She said. "Now get us some music."

You went back to scrolling your Spotify, finally settling on a playlist of upbeat and happy songs for the occasion. As the music began to pump through Alex's speakers, you smiled. 

You were well on your way to a magical weekend.