16

The rest of the trip felt like a dream. You imagined this was what big YouTubers felt like - every day you would wake up, prepared to have fun and make content with your friends. You'd streamed with Tubbo and Tommy, and vlogged more when you and the group had gone to an open air market, and then to the beach. 

You were sad when Wednesday rolled around and it was time to head back. Back to reality, where you had piles of schoolwork to catch up on, and vlogs to edit, and streaming to do. You didn't want it to end. 

But you had packed your bags this morning and Alex was closing the trunk of her car in the hotel parking lot. You were going to meet up with everyone one last time before you got back on the road.

Even though you were sure you would talk to them almost daily, you were going to miss them. It wouldn't be the same when they were miles and miles away, and only their voices were with you. You slid into the passenger seat of Alex's car, fiddling with your phone in your hand. 

You were going to miss Tommy. Somehow, meeting him in person had only made your feelings blossom even more. 

But now, you didn't know when you were going to see him in person again. 

Alex dropped into the driver seat, dragging her seatbelt across her body and clicking it into place. "You're sure you've got everything?"

You nodded. 

"Charger?" 

"Yup."

"Camera battery?" 

"Yes."

"All your socks?"

"Are we just going to go through everything I packed?" You asked. 

Alex raised her hands in surrender before dropping them on the wheel. "Just wanted to make sure you got everything before we left." She put the car in reverse and pulled out of the hotel parking lot, heading down the road. You were gathering at the strip mall one last time before you went home. 

For a moment, the only sound around was the gentle rumble of Alex's car. It was a moment before she broke the silence again. 

"You seem kinda quiet." Alex said. 

"I'm just sad it's over." You said. "I've had a really good time, and I didn't really want it to end."

"We'll meet up with  everyone again, you know that." Alex said. 

"I know." You said. "It's just... tomorrow I have to go back to school, and then the only time I'll get to talk to everybody is when I'm streaming... it's just not going to be the same now."

Alex just smiled, eyes ahead on the road. 

"What's the face for?" You asked. "I didn't even say anything sus."

"You should give him a hug before we go." Alex said. 

You clutched onto your phone, staring at your feet. You didn't have to ask to know exactly who Alex was talking about. Now that she had said it, you desperately wanted to hug him before you left, but how were you supposed to when you could barely handle his fingers brushing over yours?

"That would be weird." You said. 

"It won't be weird." Alex countered. 

"It would." You insisted.

Alex pulled into the parking lot. "I'll make it not weird." She said. The nerves in your stomach tingled.

Everyone was gathered near a bench in front of one of the shops when you and Alex got out of the car. You stuffed your phone into one of your pockets and clutched the edge of your shirt as your approached the group instead. Tommy was standing next to Wilbur, a smile on his face. 

Alex reached everyone first, slinging an arm over Niki and Tubbo's shoulders. "Well," She said, a edge of sadness in her voice. "This is it boys."

Wilbur echoed the sentiment. "This is it."

Alex squeezed Niki and Tubbo to her. "It was really fun. Thanks for the invite, I'm going to miss you lot."

"We'll still talk all the time." Niki said. "It's not like this is the only time you'll get to see us."

Alex moved on to Wilbur then, squeezing him around the middle. You meandered over to Niki and Tubbo, wrapping each of them up in a quick hug. When Tubbo pulled away, you noticed he was wearing his matching shirt. 

"Next time we all stream together, we should wear those." You said, pointing at the shirt. 

He grinned. "Yeah, we should!"

You were about to say something when two arms wrapped around your middle, lifting you up into the air and forcing all the breath out of your lungs. It left you in a soft 'oof', and Wilbur laughed at the noise, spinning you around.

"Stay out of trouble, alright?" He said. "And stay in school! And don't stay up streaming too late!"

You wiggled in his grip. "I wanted a goodbye, not a lecture from my dad!"

"Seriously though." Wilbur said, setting you down. "Take care of yourself." He ruffled your hair, messing it up.

You smoothed down the damage, grinning at him. "Yeah, alright."

He grinned, and stepped away. 

And then it was just you and Tommy, looking at each other. It would be weird if you didn't hug him now that you had hugged everyone else. You glanced back at Alex. 

She just smiled. 

Looking back to Tommy, you steeled yourself. "Bye."

"Bye Y/N." He said, stepping forward to tug you into his chest, wrapping you up in a big warm hug. Your arms wandered up to loop around his shoulders. 

You let yourself enjoy the feeling for a moment. Tommy's arms were around you, and you could smell the deodorant he had used when he'd woke up this morning. But then he was stepping away and the moment was over. 

You moved back to Alex's side and waved one last time before heading back to the car. Sitting down in the passenger seat, you could still feel the ghost of Tommy's arms around you. 

"See?" Alex said as she started up the engine. "Wasn't weird."

"Yeah." You said. You knew you would be dreaming of that hug for a while. 

But dreaming would have to be saved for later. As Alex pulled out of the parking lot, you pulled your school bag up from the backseat, finding the folder full of make up work you hadn't touched over the long weekend. 

You had a lot of catching up to do instead.