28 | Moody & Malfoy

Y/N

_

"EPISKEY!" I whispered under my breath, my wand grasped in my hand.

The two of us had been left in Moody's office, while the professor went to check on Wood in Pomferey's care. I was told he was fine, and that the spell that I hexed him with only left him unconscious for a few minutes—but to me that meant nothing. I still hurt him.

Draco winced at the muttering of my spell, the swelling of his jaw suddenly disappearing in a quick flush. His cut lip seemed to seam itself back together as well, the dried blood fading away as if it was never there.

"Thank you," he mumbled, rubbing his cheek in pain.

He was seated at the desk beside me, his dress robes crumpled from the fight before, and his hair disheveled messily. He sighed, giving me a sad smile. "I'm sorry, [y/n], I really am."

I glanced away, "why?"

"Because I should have just walked away."

I opened my mouth to speak, but hesitated to find the words. Draco was right. He should have just walked away, but Oliver shouldn't have edged him on, and I shouldn't have...let my mind slip away.

"I'm just glad you're feeling better," I exhaled, rubbing the bridge of my nose stressfully, "it's just that this whole night is turning out to be a...complete mess."

"I know."

"I just..it's just—dammit, Draco," I swore, dropping my head into my hands, "I can't believe I let this whole thing get out of hand."

"It's not your fault."

"But I still hurt Wood, and now the whole school probably thinks I'm an awful person for what I did!"

"They don't think that."

"They do."

"Then screw them, for heaven's sake," he mumbled, "I'll never think that of you, and even if the school turns on us more than they already have, I'm still going to be here."

I opened my mouth to speak, but the sound of the door swinging open cut me off. Moody came stalking in, his face contorted into a determined glare, and his cane thudding against the stone floor with every step he took. I felt Draco tense up.

"Never," he scowled, brushing past us on his way to his desk, "never, in all of my years of living, have I ever seen classmates turn on each other as you two did now."

His voice sounded dry and angry, something very strange from the tone he usually wore. In classes he was just his usual strange self, sometimes crossing the line of going mad, but this was pure disappointment dripping off of his tongue.

As the man slumped down into his chair, I felt Draco hitch a breath, squeezing my hand under the table nervously.

"And in the middle of a ball?" Moody continued, "you two should be ashamed."

I watched as he picked up a silver flask, twisting open the cap and downing a big gulp. His tongue flicked out like a snake, making me inch away uncomfortably.

"I'd think you'd have learned your lesson by now, Mr. Malfoy," he said, turning to the blonde beside me, "starting fights with other students again?"

Draco narrowed his eyes, "I didn't start the fight."

"It doesn't matter who started the fight, you should have known better than to continue it!"

"Wood should have known to keep his mouth shut."