39 | The Spare

TRIGGER WARNING!

this chapter covers a lot of heavy subjects, from death, to blood, to some gruesome descriptions, and if you do not feel comfortable reading, that is always okay. It's not gory or anything, but I feel like this warning is needed just in case. Take care <3

∞ ϟ

Y/N

_

ALL I COULD SEE WAS GREEN.

A color that had brought me the most comfort I had ever felt in my life, a color of bliss and happiness, because that color was the color I associated with love. His love. Our love. A love that I wanted nothing more than to have in my arms for one more second and one more day.

But now all I could see in that color was death.

It all happened so quickly, like a blink in the passing of time, and the next thing I knew, I was standing in a graveyard, my arms out in front of me as I tried to stop the ticking of the clock; but I had the whole world against me.

Kill the spare, he said, kill the spare.

And then came the flash of green, and the coldness that surrounded the space, as I watched Cedric's body fall to the ground like a twisted angel of death. No wings, no spirit—just a fleeting memory of a soul.

And then he was gone.

It all happened so quickly. It shouldn't be possible, because it couldn't be right. A life full of light and love and years of living could be all taken in the matter of a single second.

It shouldn't be real.

It can't be.

But it was.

Have you ever seen someone's life leave their eyes? Have you? Have you heard their heart stop beating, have you heard their lungs stop breathing, have you seen the look in their eyes as they realize you're the last thing they'll ever see?

Cedric saw me.

We barely knew each other, and yet my face, my face, was the last thing he ever had the chance to see, and now he died with the knowledge that I failed to save him.

And there's a point in time where everything goes silent. Painfully silent. The kind of silence that people crave, but are too scared to feel, because they know there's something waiting inside of it like a blind shadow of guilt. And then the silent passes just as quickly, and all you can hear is a snap, a loud snap, like the breaking of a soul, and you feel so numb you can't even tell if it's their soul or yours.

"She's not the boy," Peter Pettigrew hissed, his teeth bared in anger, "Barty failed to bring Potter, my lord."

Harry...

I wanted to know if he'd made it out of the maze in time. I wanted to cry for him, cry for Cedric, cry out of fear, but my body felt so...numb.

"I have no choice but to kill her as well," Pettigrew continued, raising his wand again, "she will know too much."

I braced for death. To feel the pain of dying, because at least it would let me feel something. I couldn't feel myself breathing anymore, and I had to keep tasting the tears streaming down my cheeks just to know that I was still alive.

But even if I accepted death, I knew I couldn't accept leaving.

Leaving....

Draco.