32

It had been about a month now, of you dating Tommy. It had possibly been the best month of your life.

You would game together, on and off stream, pretty much whenever you had free time. When you weren't gaming, you were texting each other, sending memes and tiktoks and screenshots of tweets, along with the occasional sweet little message mixed in. You would fall asleep on the phone with him most nights, talking until the words turned soft in your mouths and your eyes forced themselves shut.

It was giving you dark circles, but you didn't care, because Tommy was the best thing that had ever happened to you.

He was so sweet and caring even when he didn't have to be. He knocked items off your Amazon wishlist like they were nothing, and would leave the most adorable little notes with the packages. He made you laugh constantly, even when he wasn't trying to. Every time you would stream, he would send a raid in your direction. 

Of course, you tried to return the favor. You sent him little care packages full of his favorite candies and stupid little things (like a vlog gun replacement). You raided his streams and gifted him subs on every stream you could catch. You sent him little things that reminded you of him - pictures of cute dogs and laughably angry tweets, mostly. 

The only thing that wasn't perfect was the hours of distance between you. 

It just wasn't feasible for you to visit him as much as you would like to. As much as you appreciated Alex's offer to drive you whenever you wanted, you didn't want her to spend hundreds on gas every weekend. It was painful sometimes (usually late at night) but you knew you would rather be with Tommy this way than not at all.

Of course, you probably shouldn't have been thinking about all this during maths class, but it was pretty much over anyway. 

The bell rang and you stood, packing up your books. Kieran, next to you, shoved everything into his bag and slung it over his shoulder. "Doing anything this afternoon?" He asked. 

You shrugged. "Probably editing and homework." You said. 

"Nothing special for a Friday?" He asked.

You shrugged again, walking out of the classroom with him. You drifted through the halls and out the doors, taking a breath of fresh air. It was just starting to get colder, and there was a scent of a coming storm in the clouds. 

You and Kieran began the walk home, following the well trodden sidewalks. 

"What about you?" You asked him. "Anything for you this weekend?"

Kieran shrugged. "Maya wants to do something, I think." He said. "You know, you and Tommy should come on a double date with us sometime. I would love to like, actually meet him."

"If only he didn't live hours and hours away." You sighed. 

"Hey, as soon as one of you gets a car it's not a problem anymore." Kieran said. "Hell, you both make enough to pay for gas whenever you want."

"True." You said, a small smile gracing your mouth.

"If only, if only." Kieran said. "I would love YouTube money."

"I'm sure if you posted more you would make more." You said. "You have a hundred thousand subscribers already, you just have to actually post stuff." 

"All those people only subscribed to me because I'm friends with you and we collabed like three times." Kieran said. 

"You're just lazy." You said, knocking Kieran in the shoulder. 

Kieran knocked you back, more out of retaliation than anything else. "Whatever."

You stumbled a little, gripping the straps of your bag. You rounded a corner, your house coming into view, and you stopped.

A car you didn't recognize was in the driveway. 

Kieran stopped as well. "Who's that?" He asked. 

"Dunno." You said, walking again. "I don't know anyone with a red car."

"Maybe one of your mum's friends?" Kieran said. "Doesn't she have them over for tea sometimes?"

"Yeah, but most of them drive SUVs." You said. Getting closer, you could see that the car wasn't in the best shape. It looked... well loved, to put it nicely. 

You and Kieran stopped at the end of the driveway.

"I'll probably end up calling you about maths later." Kieran said. 

You grinned. "Yeah, see you." 

With that you parted, Kieran continuing on, and you heading up to your front door, passing the strange vehicle, trying to remember if your mum had said anything about anyone coming over when you'd left this morning. You opened the door and stepped in, dropping your bag. There were voices coming from the kitchen as you toed off your shoes. 

And then, a loud barking laugh that you had heard a million times in your dreams. 

It couldn't be. 

You took off into the kitchen, skidding to a stop in the doorway. Your mum and Alex had their backs to you, a cup of tea in your mum's hand and a pink Monster in Alex's. Standing across from them though was Tommy.

He locked eyes with you immediately, a large smile stretching across his face. 

You charged at him, enveloping him in a tight hug. He reciprocated it eagerly, lifting you clear off the floor with his enthusiasm. 

"How are you here?" You asked, voice muffled as you pressed your face into Tommy's chest.

"I got a car." Tommy said. 

You pulled back a half step, hitting him. 

"Ow!" He yelped. "What was-"

"You didn't tell me!" You said. "You should have told me!"

"I wanted it to be a surprise!" Tommy bit back. "I asked Alex for your address and she said she would tell your mum, and that it could be a surprise when you came home from school."

Alex winked at you, a mischievous grin on her face. 

You buried yourself into Tommy again. "How long are you staying?" You asked. 

"The weekend." Tommy said. "Alex said I could stay at hers since she lives alone."

"God, Alex, have I ever told you how much I love you?" You said, trading Tommy out for her and you hugged her tight. 

She set her Monster down, laughing. "No, but you should more often."

Stepping away from Alex, you turned to your mum. It was her opinion that would be the selling point here. 

She sipped at her tea, looking between you and Tommy. "I like him." She said. "He reminds me of your father when he was young. Handsome too."

You grinned at Tommy. 

You mother smiled knowingly, rising from her seat. "Alex, would you join me on the back porch?" She asked. "I have some lovely begonias I would love to show you."

"Of course." Alex said, shooting one last glance at you as she followed your mother outside, leaving you and Tommy alone in the kitchen. 

You looked up at him, unable to contain the joy bubbling inside you. You grabbed his hand and squeezed. He was real, and he was here

"I was so worried your mum wasn't going to like me." He said, squeezing back.

"You had nothing to worry about." You said. "You're amazing."

"I swear you're singlehandedly fueling my ego." Tommy said, leaning down to seal his lips to yours. 

You melted into the kiss, happier than you thought a person could be.