45 | A Missing Spot At The Table

DRACO

_

"TELL ME, MALUM," I sighed, looking up from my book, "has she sent anything back yet?"

To say my life has become exceedingly depressing wouldn't be an understatement. It would be the truth. I've been cooped up in this boring school for weeks now, trying to avoid the entirety of the Slytherin house.

Pity the Slytherin Prince is a blood-traitor, they would whisper, I thought he'd know better than that.

I did know better.

I knew from the start that falling for a girl so different from me wasn't a good idea, and that I'd be shamed for it, but...who cares for titles. I'd give up my so-called crown just to see her again.

The only person who has ever earned my respect is her, and she's not here.

"Well?" I sighed, narrowing my eyes at the owl, "did she write?"

Malum was my owl, gifted to me in first year by my mother, but I never liked the ugly creature because it couldn't talk. Useless. Might as well ask a pigeon to deliver my mail.

I'd been keeping the library window left ajar every time I sat in the small corner, just for the sole purpose of checking in with my mail (so far I've received nothing). I've already been told off three times by Pince that 'owls aren't allowed in the library!' but I didn't care.

I never usually do.

"Maybe tomorrow, then," I frowned, glancing at my owl's empty talons.

I've said that phrase every single time, and yet I never lost hope. Until I fall down the stairs and die, I'm not going to stop thinking about whether or not my letters were read, and I'm definitely not going to stop pestering that bloody owl about it.

I need a distraction.

"See this?" I pressed, holding up the book in my hands, "I read this last year."

The owl nipped at my finger, completely ignoring the blue cover in between my fingers. I should have known. Owls never have a taste for good literature.

 I continued anyways:

"It's sad, Malum, but I found it in the restricted section again and I couldn't help but read it," I mumbled, flipping through the pages, "do you want to know what it's about?"

The owl nipped again. Of course it didn't want to know Draco, it's a bloody owl. Whatever, it has ears, it can listen.

"It's about two people..." I began, my thumb running along the spine, "two people who love each other so much, but have so much against them, and in the end...they...."

I stopped myself.

"In the end they..."

I paused, looking at the owl with a plain expression. Why was I opening up to such a small thing? He couldn't understand me, and besides, the longer he stayed, the more likely I'd get another earful from that awful Pince.

Hiss hiss.

"Never mind the book, Malum," I snapped, shutting it closed quickly, "come back tomorrow."

Waving my hand, I watched as it flew away, it's wings carrying it through the wind outside. I would have dwelled on how free flying looked (without the help of a broomstick) but I hated the thought of being an animal. It's not as mystical as it seems.

I shut the window with a sigh, the back of my head hitting the stone ledge I was sitting on.

I'd been in this library for two hours. Just sitting in my usual spot, a window to my right, and a bench to my left. If I wasn't so worried about my pride, I would have admitted that the only reason I'd ever go to the library was because I have to abide by the four rules I made for myself, but.... No I won't admit that.