43. KNIGHT IN A BUBBLE-HEAD CHARM

| CHAPTER FORTY-THREE |

KNIGHT IN A BUBBLE-HEAD CHARM.

CEDRIC WAS MORE THAN NERVOUS, and it wasn't even due to the Triwizard Tournament. Well, actually, technically it was, but it was much more deeper. Before the first task he was nervous about losing, about disappointing his father. Now, though, all he cared about was getting Natasha out of the lake as quick as possible. He didn't care if he came first or fourth or even if he was disqualified, all he needed was to see the blonde back on land, back safe and sound.

As soon as the four Champions jumped into the water, Cedric didn't bother lingering by, he said his Bubble-Head Charm and swam in deeper. The water was pretty cold, but Cedric didn't mind it, due to the movement of his arms and legs he managed to warm himself up pretty quick. The main problem was how murky the water was, he had found himself almost freaking out when he saw the shadow of seaweed or logs that looked too much like merpeople.

As he swam deeper, the quietness of the Black Lake began to freak him out. He couldn't make out any creatures he'd read about or even the other champions, it was just deadly quiet. A quiet that really freaked him out, what if he was going in the completely wrong direction? What if he couldn't find Nat anywhere? It made him scared to the bone. 

'An hour long you'll have to look,

And recover what we took.'

Cedric's ears perked up at the sound of singing. Without a second of hesitation, he began to swam in the direction of the sound, pushing his way through the long seaweeds.

'...your time's half gone, so tarry not

Lest what you seek stays here to rot.'

'To rot'? That got Cedric's nerves going. He swam even faster than before, ignoring the burning sensation in his legs. His eyes widened in shock when he finally saw the merpeople. They had greyish skin with dark green hair. Practically all of them were staring at him with piercing eyes that were easy to spot through the darkest and murkiest of waters. They wore thick ropes of pebbles around their necks. They leered at Cedric as he swam past. Three emerged from caves nearby to watch him. Their powerful fishtails beating the water as their hands clutched pointy spears.

A whole crowd of merpeople were floating around, singing angelically to call out the champions. That's when Cedric spotted what was behind them; four people tied by ropes around their ankles, floating around the bottom of the Black Lake, all of them with their eyes closed.

His eyes widened when he spotted Natasha, she was floating right in between Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. Her soft blonde locks flying around her, as her head lolled to one side, she looked incredibly peaceful, as if she was just in a deep sleep. There was a young girl on the other side of Hermione, one Cedric almost instantly recognised as Fleur Delacour's younger sister. 

Not wanting to waste anymore time, Cedric swam right up to the four people. He was half expecting the merpeople to attack him, but much to his surprise, they stayed still, watching him intently. He looked at Nat's face, happiness surged through his veins at knowing that she was okay and that she didn't just disappear into the night never to be seen again (and that she wasn't annoyed at him since that was another thought that passed through his mind when she didn't show up at the Astronomy Tower). Swimming slightly away, Cedric went down to where her feet were and began to pull at the knot wrapped securely around her ankle. When it didn't seem to budge off, he took out his wand and pressed it against it. Watching as a bright spark emitted from the end of it and before he knew it, the rope had broke, letting Natasha slowly float upwards.

With a sigh of relief, Cedric kicked his legs out, swimming up he wrapped his arms around his girlfriend, keeping her close to his side as he physically could whilst he swan upwards, right towards the daylight. Cedric broke through the surface of the Lake first. Natasha almost immediately after, waking up the second her head came up from under the water. 

The Bubble-Head Charm disappeared from Cedric's face, he could hear the cheering coming from the crowds but he didn't care about it all, instead, he was focused purely on the blonde beauty besides him, watching as she looked puzzled for a moment before realising what had happened and throwing her arms around his neck.

Cedric let out a soft chuckle, his arms tightening around her waist. He could feel her kicking out her legs as well, making sure to keep both of them above the surface. 

"You saved me," Natasha grinned, her bottom lip was quivering from the child air, "Y-You're like my knight in shining armour."

Cedric chuckled, "More like knight in a Bubble-Head Charm, but I like the new nickname."

Natasha shook her head but kept a wide grin on her face, "Of course you do."

"Come on, let's get you out of the cold," Cedric said, gesturing to the platform not too far from them. Natasha didn't reply with words, she simply nodded, feeling colder and colder by the second, the only heat coming from Cedric's body pressed up against hers. 

The blonde finally looked around her surroundings as Madam Pomfrey helped the pair from out of the Lake and wrapped them both in towels before handing them each a vile of unknown substance. The crowds were clapping and cheering loudly as Hermione and Viktor emerged from the water and Madam Pomfrey rushed over to the pair.

Natasha kept the towel wrapped around herself as she shuffled closer to Cedric, without saying anything, the grey eyed boy wrapped his arm around her, bringing her closer to his body and pressing a kiss to the top of her wet hair, "I'm so glad you're okay," He told her, whispering the words into her locks.

"You were worried?" Nat asked, looking up at her boyfriend, a look of pure adoration in her eyes.

"Of course," Cedric informed her, "I was worried when you didn't come to the Astronomy Tower."

Natasha felt her heart fluttering. She never had anyone care about her in a way that Cedric cared about her, it felt strange, but a good strange. A strange she longed for. She opened her mouth to speak when suddenly Bagman's booming voice echoed throughout the grounds, informing them that now that everyone is back (Harry, Ron and the little girl came up when the blonde was too busy staring at Cedric's captivating eyes). 

"Mr. Cedric Diggory used the Bubble-Head Charm, was the firs to return with his hostage..."

"Hostage?" Natasha muttered bitterly.

"...He returned way before the one hour mark. We award him the full fifty points."

Students began cheering loudly, especially the Hufflepuffs. Natasha completely blanked out what else Bagman had to say as she turned to look at her boyfriend, a proud smile on her face, "You won again," She told him, pressing a kiss on his cheek.

Cedric watched her with a look of adoration in his eyes, never once looking away, even when the crowd began to loudly cheer again. She was right, he did win; he won by seeing her smile everyday, he won by being able to stay by her side, calling her his girl. He really had won and it was far better than any Triwizard or Quidditch Cup.