Chapter Fifteen

I knew right away that whoever grabbed me wasn't human

I knew right away that whoever grabbed me wasn't human. The strength they used to tear me away from the seat wasn't something the average human could possess. They flung me to the side, and I shouldered the car next to me hard, grunting at the force of the collision.

"So, you really were here. Incredible."

The clouds parted, allowing the moon to shine light on my attacker's face as I looked up. Medium-length black hair, square jaw, older. Much older than any of the students at the academy would be. I knew he was a vampire, but where had he come from? What did he want? "Who are you?" I settled on asking.

He approached me slowly, appraising me. "Knowing my name isn't important when you'll be dead in a few moments. Don't take it personally."

Dead? Time seemed to slow as he prowled toward me. My pulse pounded in my ears. Fangs shone in the moonlight. I suddenly remembered a warning my father had once given me. I keep you in this room to protect you. You'll be hunted your entire life just for being a Levant. The gleam in his eye kept me from doubting his intentions. I recognized it. I'd seen the same look in my father's eyes.

I didn't move for a moment, forcing myself to consider my options instead of panicking. I needed a plan. If I had a plan, I could survive this. I hadn't brought my dagger with me, expecting to have been searched before entering the club, so I was already at a horrible disadvantage. My hands trembled, but I would have to rely on hand-to-hand combat. Or make a run for it and try to find Kaz. But that would leave Adora alone. Would a vampire attack one of their own kind?

I wouldn't find out.

Adora's safety came first. She was drunk and incapacitated. I had to lead this vampire away from her. If something happened to her because of me, I wouldn't forgive myself.

Waiting until the last possible second, I rolled out of the vampire's reach, flipping myself to my feet. He turned fast, hand flinging out to strike me. I ducked, jabbing my elbow into his ribs to knock him off balance. It worked, but only for a split-second. I used it to my advantage and took off across the parking lot, weaving between parked cars to keep a buffer between us. If I could get back in the club, I could slip away into the crowd, or find Kaz.

"If you run to the humans, I'll take every single one of them out along with you," he called after me. "I could take ten out before they could scream. Actually, that sounds fun. Run there!"

I automatically changed directions, horrified by the thought. No. I couldn't involve innocent civilians. This vampire had to be a Leecher. Where were the hunters stationed in the area? Had they not noticed him? How?

Separating myself from Adora and the club-goers wasn't the best decision either, but at least I had the training to defend myself. I would have to trust my abilities.

I sprinted to the back of the parking lot, heading toward the back alley. Close quarters would make it harder to fight, but there was a chance I could find a makeshift weapon.