Chapter Eleven

~ Cole ~

"C'mon, c'mon-God dammit!" Cole threw the controller down on the floor beside him and collapsed back dramatically, the sound of defeat playing from the TV before him

James chuckled fondly beside him. He was leaning against the couch, making elegant notations in some neoclassical book he was reading. For fun. "I think that may be your worst attempt yet."

Cole scoffed. "Says that man who can't even get past the first level."

"I won't deny that my talents lay beyond the decomposition of the human psyche via digital violence."

"Sometimes I wonder how you're real."

"Existentialism is exhausting at this hour of the morning."

It was nine thirty on a Friday morning. Cole and James had a late start to the day every second Friday where their classes began at 12pm. Unfortunately for a sleeping Cole, James had turned up on his doorstep an hour ago to drag him out of bed.

"I still don't understand why you insist I be awake at this hour," Cole grumbled. "It's virtually criminal."

"You signed away your right to sleep till noon when you enrolled in college."

Cole snorted. "You go to bed just as late as me."

"And yet, I'm not the one imitating a stoned zombie this morning."

Cole bit his lip to stop from calling bullshit. Like him, James too was a night owl and often was awake at all hours of the night. They'd often call one another and stay on the phone until sunrise. Ocassionally they'd go for a drive in the early hours of the morning and one time they even built a model train set. Other times Cole would be off in the darkness, doing something only he knows. James didn't pry on those nights. He didn't need to.

The sound of defeat blared from the television once again and Cole sighed and turned it off. James used the silence to look across at his friend. "You wanna talk about it?"

"About what?"

"Why you look like you barely slept last night."

"I don't sleep. You know that."

"Yes, but this is different. Was it something with Brendon? I know you went to lunch with him yes-"

Cole cut him off with a sharp twist of the head. "It's not that. I just didn't get much sleep last night. Imagine my joy when my douchebag of a best friend came banging on my door two hours later."

James waited. Cole stared. Eventually, he let out an exasperated groan. "It's nothing. Just my neighbour."

"Your neighbour?" James frowned.

Cole rubbed a hand tiredly down his face. "They were playing this shitty-ass music until five o'clock in the morning. It wasn't even good shitty-ass music. Just the kind that makes you want to run a cheese grater over your skin. Who the hell does that?"