Chapter 28

Iroh stood outside the door to his mother's and grandmother's room.

He felt his heart racing. He wanted so badly to talk to them and with the ship clear, now he could.

Iroh released the breath he had been holding and knocked on the door.

He felt his stomach sink when there was no answer.

He knocked again, "Um, Mother? Grandmother? It-It's Iroh...I'd just like to talk."

There was still no response within the room.

He was silent a moment before sighing, he lowered his head and turned around, "I...I understand...I love you both."

He sulked down the hallway slowly. He stopped when he heard footsteps pounding against the floor.

Iroh turned around and stumbled, immediately being wrapped in the tightest hug he's had since he left the palace.

He didn't have to look at the woman's face to know exactly who she was.

Iroh felt tears surface in his eyes and he buried his face against his mother's neck, locking his arms around her.

He felt one of the many knots in his chest finally melt away and he sobbed quietly.

Izumi cupped the back of his head, even with his head down on her shoulder she had to stand on her toes to reach his shoulders.

She pressed her nose to his neck, "I love you too baby. Mama loves her Little Dragon so, so much."

Iroh closed his eyes tight, feeling his tears soak into the shoulder of his mother's dress.

"I'm sorry," He sobbed, pulling her closer.

"Don't be sorry," Izumi pulled away to look at him, her own eyes were glazed with tears. "I'm just glad you're okay."

Iroh wiped away a tear with the heel of his hand.

Izumi cupped his cheeks, "And I can't begin to express how proud I am of you."

"P-Proud?" Iroh stuttered, feeling his chest trembling as he held down another sob.

Izumi nodded, "I always knew you'd do great things before and after you became Fire Lord, I just didn't know it'd come at the expense of my heart's health."

Iroh breathed a weak laugh.

Izumi smiled, laughing lightly.

"Well, I'm sorry I put you through this," Iroh smiled, hugging her again.

Izumi closed her eyes, "It's okay, a mother will support her baby's dreams, even if it means she's constantly worrying."

Iroh rested his head against her shoulder.

She kissed his head, "Because she knows it's all worth it when she holds her baby when they return."

He sniffed, wiping his eyes, "Thank you."

"Of course my Little Dragon," Izumi smiled.

"I'm sorry I ran away and put you all through this," Iroh said. "I never wanted to hurt any of you."

"It's okay," Izumi rubbed his back. "We know you meant well."

Iroh kissed her cheek before pulling away from her, but still held her hands.

Izumi smiled up at her son, pride sparkling in her gold eyes.

"You really don't mind me being a soldier?" Iroh asked.

"Of course not," Izumi squeezed his hands. "Your life is yours to control, all I'm allowed to do is watch and support."

"Thank you Mother," Iroh smiled weakly. "That means a lot."

Izumi smiled wide.

Iroh pulled away. He kissed his palm and touched the heel of his hand to his chin, blowing out a light stream of fire towards her.

Izumi giggled, "I love you too."

Iroh smiled weakly.

"And in regards to the note you left me," She said. "I'm glad that you decided to follow your dreams like I always told you."

"Izumi!"

Izumi looked over to Mai, who was running towards them from down the hall.

"Mother? What's wrong?" Izumi let go of Iroh and grabbed her mother's hands.

Iroh felt his chest lock up when his grandmother said that the two words he dreaded to hear.

"Suki's missing."

"What?" Izumi blinked. "I thought she was with you!"

"She was, we were above deck because she said she needed some air, I turn around for one second and she was gone!" Mai said quickly. "I've looked everywhere for her! She's gone!"

"Not again!" Izumi groaned. She let go of her mother, "I have to find Bumi."

"You can't," Iroh said. "He led the troops into the prison. You can't go in there."

"I can't just wait for her, she could have snuck into the building," Izumi said. "You know how she is."

Iroh was silent a moment.

Izumi rubbed her forehead and Mai hugged her.

"I'll go," Iroh said.

Izumi and Mai looked at him.

"Iroh," Mai said. "Your father--"

"Dad told me not to go in to fight," Iroh said. "He never said I couldn't go in to get Suki out."

"You don't have to risk your career for this Iroh," Izumi said. "Your father will find her."

"This isn't about my career," Iroh said. "This is about protecting my family."

Izumi pursed her lips, "Are you sure you want to go in there and risk getting in trouble?"

"Yes," Iroh said immediately. "My sister, my father, my grandfather, and my friends are all in there. I have to help them even if it means I lose my dream."

Izumi hugged him, "How did I make such an amazing man?"

He hugged her, "By being an amazing Mother."

Izumi smiled, pulling away, "Be careful. Please, be careful."

"I will," Iroh saluted them.

Mai hugged him when he dropped his arm, "I just got you back, that better not change."

Iroh returned the hug tightly, "It won't Grandmother, I promise."

Mai let him go after a minute, "I love you."

"I love you too," He kissed her cheek before turning to the end of the hallway.

Izumi leaned against Mai when she hugged her.

"Will he be okay?" Izumi asked.

"He's your father's grandson," Mai said. "You should be asking if Taru and his men will be okay."

Izumi cupped a hand over her mouth, muffling a laugh.

The Royal women watched the young soldier as he made his way above deck.

Iroh threw the doors open and looked at the building.

"Here comes the soldier boy."