10 | Roommates

Y/N

_

IT'S NOT EVEN A WEEK into the school term, and I already know things are heading in a downward spiral.

I had left the Great Hall to get some air after hearing the news; the horrible, horrible news, and yet I decided not to go to the courtyard. Somewhere else seemed like a better option, which is why I found myself staring at a giant wall instead.

A wall that was slowly crumbling away to reveal a room.

I wasn't sure why I decided to go back to the Room or Requirement, but somehow it seemed like the only place I could find solitary comfort. Maybe it was because I was the only person to know about this room, and therefore it was the perfect place to be alone in.

Well, the only person except for Draco.

Who unfortunately was already inside the room.

He was crouched into the shadowy corner, spare pieces of parchment scattered around him, and he looked up once he saw me standing there. Setting down the quill in his hand, he turned to face me. I knew he was probably going to try to start another fight, so I exhaled in disappointment and waved my hand.

"I wasn't following you this time," I noted bluntly, preparing to walk away, "I didn't even know you were in here."

Draco blinked, his expression unreadable, "I know."

"I'll leave you alone, then."

Spinning around, I prepared to go to my second choice—the courtyard, which I originally planned on going to—but the sound of the boy's voice enthralled me to stop.

"Actually," he said, his dry tone echoing out from the stone room, "I'd prefer it if you stayed."

I stopped walking, the heel of my boots digging into the tiled floor.

I couldn't be hearing that right, could I? Draco Malfoy, the enemy of my best friend, the person who hated my guts for calling him names, and the pureblood tyrant that stalked the halls....was asking me to stay.

Did someone obliviate him by accident or did he just forget the bad blood that surrounded us?

"You want me to stay?" I said, turning around in skepticism, "with you, Draco?"

He twirled his quill along his fingers, staring at me with that same dull expression he held the entire time. At this point I could guess he was purposely trying not to show the thoughts running through his mind; although I desperately wished I could see them. It would let me know what he was planning.

If he was planning anything.

"I don't bite," he said factually, breaking his gaze to roll his eyes, "stop standing there like an idiot and come inside."

I frowned, "I'm not going to come inside if you call me an idiot."

"Then why are you still here?"

I wasn't expecting the question, but it called me out on my behavior. I could have easily just walked away, or shot back a snarky comment, but instead I just stood there like some sort of frozen statue.

I cleared my throat, looking away.

"Possibly because I need someone to talk to," I said, telling him the truth, "and seeing as you're the only one I've run into out here, staying doesn't seem like a bad idea."

I saw his stone-cold gaze break as a small smile twitched onto the corner of his lips. It was barely noticeable, but somehow it sent a wave of relief over my body.