[13]

I slithered through the front door of Thorton Mansion and tiptoed to my room that night. I was still a little shaken from tonight's events, but I would have to deal with it. I walked to my room, making sure to be extra quiet near Topper's bedroom and let out a relieved breath once I got on the other side of my door.

I almost screamed when I saw JJ lying on my bed, but I quickly covered my mouth, my eyes wide. He smirked, flung his leg around the outside of the bed, and strode towards me.

He removed my hand away from my mouth, and his smirk grew. "Hey," he whispered, and I rolled my eyes.

"You scared the hell out of me. What're you doing here?" I sneered.

His face suddenly turned serious. "I came to see you. After the whole Crain thing, you seemed all trembly and shit, so I came to check on you," he said, and his lips curled into a smile.

I suppressed a fake chuckle and shook my head. "I'm fine, really, I'm fine. Now you need to leave before Topper finds you," I advised and started nudging him towards my balcony. He scoffed and grabbed my wrist, stopping me from kicking him out.

"You aren't fine. I can tell by your eyes. Your pupils get small when you're scared. What's wrong? Was it the gun?" He questioned and moved his hand that rested on my wrist to intertwine with mine.

My lip trembled, but I bit my lip while shaking my head again. "No, no, I'm fine. Just a little scared about what might happen with the gold and stuff," I lied with as real of a smile as I could render.

JJ sighed and brought me into his arms. I let out a soft sob and placed his hands under my thighs, lifting me up, so my legs wrapped around his waist. I dug my nose in between his neck and collarbone and let out a shaky breath.

"I've never gotten shot at before, J," I whispered, and I felt his breath next to my ear, telling me he was listening. "It was scary. I was this close to losing my ear or something, and how would I have to explain to Topper and my family what happened? That me and my friends broke into the Crain house and found some gold. They'd kill me, we'd all get arrested, and they'd never let me see you guys again. Never see you again," I rambled, and he rubbed my back soothingly. Tears sprung up into my eyes and rubbing onto his skin, leaving it wet.

I began crying quietly in his arms as he walked us over to my bed. He layed me down, me still trying to keep a hold of him. He chuckled and said, "babe, you have to let me go for a couple seconds." I huffed and dropped my grip around him, flopping on my bed. I could tell my mascara was running from both my tears and from snuggling into JJ.

My boyfriend walked into my bathroom and soon came out with some makeup wipes, hairbrush, toothbrush and paste, a spit cup, and hair ties. He set everything down and went towards my closet, where he picked out some PJs. I was too interested in the ceiling to notice his return, so I had to wait till the bed groaned from his weight to look at him.

He had a warm smile on his face as he tried to make me sit up, but I just moaned in protest. He sighed, running a hand through his hair, before grabbing my makeup wipes. He grabbed a singular wipe and tilted my head to face him.

He gently started rubbing my light makeup off, forcing me to squeeze my eyes shut, my messed up mascara leaving my face. Once all of it was off, he placed the wipe down, but I kept my eyes closed, growing tired. I heard some fumbling around and soon felt JJ's finger tap my lip, telling me to open my mouth.

I obeyed, and he stuck my toothbrush filled with toothpaste into my mouth. He placed his hand under my head and brought my head up. The blonde began making small circles with the toothbrush. This may sound weird. But having your boyfriend brush your teeth was surprisingly very relaxing.