08| We've been made bunkmates

🌼🌻

She'd slammed the door on their faces and leaned back on the door in a frenzied mode.

What's he doing here? Why is he here?

She queried all at once, not liking this one bit. Gene spared herself a look and hated the fact she hadn't covered up properly. Her face probably seemed like a mess and God... she must have yawned so unladylike while she opened the door. She hated feeling that way. Embarrassed.

She can't keep seeing his face. It made her very uncomfortable.

Gene rushed back to her room and searched her wardrobe, then fished out a sweatshirt. Quickly, she wore it over her satin nightdress and hastened her steps into the restroom, gargled some water in her mouth, then spit it out. She washed her face and wiped it dry with a towel, then combed her hair before hurrying back to the door. Taking a break for a second, Gene took in a deep breath to calm her nerves.

I've got this. She assured herself before taking hold of the knob and pulled the door open.

Her brother spared her a glance from head to toe.

"Really? You could have politely excused yourself instead of slamming the door on our faces."

Gene couldn't muster up a genuine smile. "Be grateful I opened it a second time. Why are you here?"

Victor turned to Elliot behind him, who simply found every act amusing. He was trying so hard not to show how much he was enjoying the moment.

"Do not mind her. That's her anthem for 'Thank you for checking up on me'."

Gene furrowed her brows at him. Victor's eyes were back on his sister. He put up a polite smile. "May we come in?"

Her head screamed for her to say no, not because of her brother, but because of the person behind him. In the end, she took a step to the side and allowed them in. Gently, she shut the door and couldn't help sparing Elliot a look who busied himself looking around without touching.

Gene squeezed her face in discomfort. To her, this was way too wrong. Meeting him was a coincidence. That night was just wrong, and she shouldn't see him ever again. Now he was standing in her living room.

She drifted her eyes to her brother and hoped for his sake he has a good reason for dragging Elliot into her apartment. The moment she walked up to him, she pulled on his arm.

"What reason do you have for ruining my morning?"

"Morning? It's noon." He replied, as he spared his sister a strange look.

Gene couldn't believe she'd slept that long, yet she felt exhausted to the bone.

"You've never been a heavy sleeper. What's going on with you?" He asked, a little worried.

She barely spared Elliot a glance and noticed he was staring right back at them. "Nothing." She replied once her eyes were back on her brother. "Why are you here?" She asked again, and Victor sighed at her refusal to stop asking the same question.

"Well, I'm here to check up on you and to inform you that Elliot just moved into the apartment below yours and... I'm leaving."

"Wait, what!?" She was quick to grab onto his arm before he could walk away. She heard something about him living in the same building as she, but Gene strongly needed to hear she'd heard wrong.

Genevieve spared Elliot a glance, and he'd lowered his head. She was grateful for that and she took steps closer to her brother.

"What do you mean, he's living downstairs? Couldn't you have found any other apartment in Lagos? Why this building?"

"If I didn't know you, I would say you're acting strange." Victor pointed out, and Gene slowly let go of his arm.

Victor kept his arm around his sister's neck as he turned her away from Elliot's view. Gene couldn't help sparing his arm around her neck, a glance and furrowing her brows at his recent behaviour.

"Look, he's one of the best freelance architects in the U.S. I've been asking for his cooperation in trying a project together. Finally, he agreed, and he's here on my behalf. Please, see him as a guest or, perhaps, a younger brother and treat him just like you would treat me."

Younger brother? Gene repeated in her mind. The word didn't quite settle.

"Alright. See you some other time, Elliot." Victor said his goodbye and by the time Gene realized he was leaving; he'd gotten to the door. She watched him walk out and shut the door after him.

Gene's heart sank. He was behind her and in her living room. They were alone. It made her nervous. She wasn't sure if she could look him in the eyes, to pretend.

She spared him a quick look before awkwardly walking toward the side of her room. Yes, to her, it was safer to maintain a safe distance.

Elliot simply watched her. Her every action had amused him and even then, she tried hard to seem okay. He wished she didn't feel so uncomfortable around him.

"You have a lovely home." He mentioned, and she spared him yet another glance.

"Thank you."

He tilted his head a little to the side, as his eyes never left her. He would prefer it very much if she would be herself so he could know a little more about the real Genevieve.

Elliot began his steps towards her. She noticed and debated within her if she needed to change her position or take a few steps back. The nearer he got, the more her feet itched to make a move. In the end, she took a single step back, and he came to a stop.

"Look, I know I can't stop you from feeling uncomfortable around me but... I just want you to know that I wish you didn't feel that way." He explained, and she gradually lifted her eyes to him.

He flashed her a warm, yet simple smile.

"I'll show myself to the door." He declared, and she nodded in accordance as she looked away from him. He watched her a few seconds more before turning towards the door.

Gradually, her eyes drifted to him and she watched as he made his way to the door. He opened it, spared her one last glance and walked out, shutting the door after him.

A sigh left her lips once she was alone in her apartment. She didn't feel as relieved as she'd expected she would be once he left. In fact, she felt oddly guilty. She couldn't help but wonder if she was being a little too hard on him.