Chapter 5

"Hurry up, Emilyn." Grandma Lou shouted from the living room.

"I'm coming, I'm coming." Emilyn ran into the living room with a left shoe in her hand.

"We cannot be late. The kids are counting on you." Grandma Lou scold.

"Me?" Emilyn scrunches her eyebrow together. "How am I involved in this? I'm just there to help."

"Of course, they are counting on you. You're bringing the ingredients they need for today's activity." She explains."

"Okay." Emilyn said and dragged the o a little longer. "Why are we still talking? Aren't we going to be late?" She reminds her, placing both of her hands on her hips.

"You're right, let's go." They hail a cab and place everything in the car, and head to the orphanage. Within 10 minutes, they arrive at the orphanage. People are standing outside the building waiting for them.

"Finally, you guys are here." The head of the orphanage said, "The kids are getting restless."

"We bought the ingredients, come help us bring it inside." Grandma Lou told them, and they help to bring the bags of ingredients inside. Once Emilyn steps her foot inside, the kids surround her.

"Emilyn, you are here." All the kids surround her and start talking loudly. "We miss you." The little ones hug her legs. She can barely move if she takes one step; she will fall on top of the kids.

Emilyn stood still and greeted every one of them, "Hi, how are you guys doing? You guys have grown a lot since the last time I saw you guys." She pats the little ones head with a smile.

"Emilyn how come you did not come often to visit us?" They asked.

"I'm sorry. I'm a little busy with work the last few weeks, so that's why I can't come to visit you guys. But, I bought candy for each of you." They cheered when they heard the word candy.

"Okay, everyone please settle down. we are going to start today's activity." The head orphanage, Melissa, announced. "Everyone go wash your hands first."

"But, Emilyn is about to give us some candy." One of the kids whined.

"If all of you cooperate, I'll let Emilyn give each one of you a piece of candy," Melissa said. They finally let go of her legs and race to the bathroom. "Emilyn, you are spoiling them."

"Don't worry Melissa, it's just for today. I haven't made a visit for weeks, I can't just come and not bring anything for them."

Melissa sigh and shake her head, "I know you love these kids, but don't spoil them too much."

"I know, don't worry." Emilyn gave her an assuring smile. "Let me just put these bags in the kitchen." Melissa nods her head.

When she entered the kitchen, she found a familiar face "Kelsea, long time no see." Emilyn places the bags on the table before hugging Kelsea.

"Emilyn." She returns the hug. Kelsea is an 18-year-old girl who she grew pretty close to during her visits.

"How are you?" Emilyn asked once, breaking the hug.

"I'm doing great. I'm almost finishing with my studies." She gave her a bright smile.

"So, what are you going to do in the future?" Emilyn asked.

"I was thinking to do a degree course at the community college with the money I've saved up."

That's great. Do you need any help with it?"

"No, it's fine. You already help me a lot through the years." She smiles. "I don't know how to repay you."

"Just get a degree and find a job that will be enough to repay me," Emilyn chuckles. "And also, maybe a small lunch will do." She joked.