Chapter 42: Bite

Author's Note:

There was a double update today, so make sure to read Chapter 41: Toxin first.

I wrap Rahlan up in a blanket to try keep him warm. He used to hold me close for my body heat, but I'm worried that I may aggravate his condition by lying against him.

The hours of the night pass slowly. Rahlan hasn't awoken, but at least he hasn't gotten worse. I haven't left my place beside him. Jaclyn is frequently in and out of the room. Soon I have snacks and water. Both Rahlan and my swords are recovered, but she refuses to allow a weapon in the same room as a vampire, even if he is unconscious.

Traces of blue morning light peek through the seams of the window shutters. I want to push them open for fresh air, but I can't take the risk of someone spotting Rahlan.

"You're in a mountain of trouble," a gruff voice says.

I whip around to see two red eyes staring back at me from the bed. A smile crosses my face. "Rahlan..."

He lifts his head off the pillow for a moment before groaning and laying back down again. The poison is still affecting his body.

"Jaclyn!" I jump up from my seat and hurry to fetch her.

Rahlan's fingers tighten around mine, anchoring me to the bed. He lets out a long sigh. "Wait."

"She's a healer," I say. She should check on him.

"I'm fine." He smirks. "Just weak." He throws back the blanket with his hand, revealing his creased shirt beneath.

My gaze trails over his body. To my untrained eye, he looks healthy. He's awake, so he's improving. Not wanting to cause him any unnecessary stress, I return to my seat beside him.

He releases my fingers and raises his hand up to my cheek, gently trailing over my skin. The ticklish sensation makes me smile. He's okay. Soon he'll be at full strength again, like nothing had ever happened. It's like a rock has been lifted off my chest. I can breathe again.

"Must you insist on being so far away?" he says.

Just like in the castle, the vampire city inn and all our time traveling together, he wants me close to him. I pull my chair up against the bedframe and lean my arms on the bed.

He chuckles. "Get on, shy human."

My eyes widen. He wants me to lay beside him like before, but there's barely enough room on the bed for him alone, and I'm afraid of putting any pressure on his body.

He gestures with his eyes to get on. He's probably thirsty.

Hesitantly, I climb on the bed, resting my knees on either side of his hips and placing my arms just outside of his shoulders. We're face to face. My long hair falls in streams around his head, tickling his neck.

He tucks my locks behind my ears and wraps his hands over my shoulders. His hands press down, bringing me closer to him. I don't resist, letting him mold me as he wants. Soon I'm resting on my elbows, with my chest just an inch above his.

His warm breath rolls over the base of my neck, right at the spot where he always bites. Just how my body needs water to heal, his needs blood.

"Ready?" he whispers.

"Mm." I nod. After the last few weeks, letting him take a little of my blood doesn't matter, especially if it means that he'll get better.

His lips touch the little nook where my neck meets my shoulders, and he plants a kiss.