Chapter 19 Zane and John talk

*The next day*
After Keene and Doc had their usual talk. It was interrupted by Arlo saying 'good moring'.

"ARLO! How long have you been standing there for?!" Doc asks.

"Heard you got a super hot girlfriend, Doc. Congrats!" Arlo says as he gives a thumbs up.

"You little-" Doc stops. "... What happened to you face?" he asks.

"I'm not really here to talk about it. I just come to get healed up. So that the school doesn't freak out over my injuries." Arlo states.

"..."

"Well Darren, you heard the man!" Keene says.

'...Can't even enjoy my morning coffee..' Doc says in his mind.

"Everything alright, Arlo?" Keene asks.

"For the most part." Arlo replies.

"My guess is you don't stop by the infirmary much, do you?" Keene asks.

"No sir, I don't get hurt often." Arlo replies.

"Hm, then this is a pretty big deal.." Keene says.

Arlo stays silent.

"Tell me, the one who did this to you.. Was it another student from Wellston?" Keene asks.

"Uh.." Arlo trails off.

"Go on." Keene says.

"It doesn't matter. I have it under control." Arlo says.

Keene stays silent.

"Here." Doc says as he holds a tonic. "I haven't made many tonic for you before, so this will work a bit slowly. But your visible injuries should be gone by the time class starts." he says.

"Okay, thanks Doc." Arlo says.

"Stay out of trouble, alright?." Doc says.

Arlo drinks the tonic and leaves the glass cup on the table. He walks away and leaves the infirmary.

"He's a strong kid." Doc says.

"I'll say." Keene replies.

"Who could've done that to him?" Doc asks.

"My guess.. probably John." Keene says.

"He's playing 'cripple' remember?" Doc says.

"Who else could it be then? Zane and Zari aren't interested in the thrones right now. They're the only ones around who can even touch Arlo." Keene states.

"Hmm.." Doc hums. 'Come to think of it... He's been acting very irritable lately.' Doc thinks. "Should we tell the headmaster about this?" Doc asks.

*Small Time skip*
Isen was watching two students beat up John.

"Look at this guy! So pathetic!" the male says.

"A cripple like you should watch where you walk. You just made my uniform dirty. What do you have to say?" the other male asks.

"You're garbage. Fuck off." John says coldly.

"HUH?!" What did you just call us?" the male shouts as he grabs John by the shirt.

"I said, you're fucken garbage." John replies with a bit of anger.

"HOW DARE YOU!" the male shouts.

"Alright children. Break it up." Isen says as he kicks the male.

"Ugh! Who the hell-?" he stops when he sees Isen. "I-ISEN!" he shouts.

"Don't you have class or something? Go going!" Isen says as he waves his hand to shoo them away.

The two males run only to be knocked out by Zane. Isen tries to help John.

"Hey man.. You alright-?" Isen asks as he reaches for John shoulder, only for it to be smacked away.

John gets up. "Don't touch me." he says with a bit of anger.

John begins to walk away and sees Zane waiting for him.

"Let's talk John. You busy?" Zane asks.

"No." John replies.

"Good. Come with me." Zane says.

John and Zane walk away.

Isen watches them walk away. 'I just have to keep him calm till Seraphina comes back! Zane and Zari seem to be doing enough to keep him in check. At least that's a good thing.'

*Roof*

Zane tells the guy to leave them alone in the roof. The guy looks angry and walks down the stairs. Zane closes the door and walks toward John.

"So, why did you want to speak with me?" John asks.

"It's about Arlo's betrayal. Me and Zari couldn't explain it since Seraphina was there at the time." Zane states.

"Alright fine. But let me start off." John says.

"Go on." Zane replies.

"Why didn't you stop Arlo before hand?" John asks.

"Well, as Zari told you. We needed you to take down Arlo. And I know. You wanted to avoid showing your ability at all costs here at the school. However, Zari did tell you that if we interfered, Arlo would come up with a different plan to make you reveal your ability. And that would only damage your trust even more. You wouldn't want that, would you?" Zane asks.

"No. I wouldn't. This could've been avoided if you and Zari took the thrones." John replies.

"And if we did. Arlo would be Jack since Seraphina is Ace. He still would've done it behind me and Zari backs." Zane replies.

John stays silent.

"Zari told me that she told you about my late bestfriend who was her boyfriend." Zane says.

"Yeah, she did. Is that why she wanted me to tell Seraphina about my feelings?" John asks.

"Indeed. Listen John, we want you to have a good life. And so far, it's like hell for you without Seraphina. Am I right?" Zane asks.

"Yeah, you are. But I'm scared." John says.

"Well, that's for you to decided. Remember, we want Seraphina to help us take down EMBER. But in order for that to happen, you need to tell her about your ability." Zane states.

"Maybe she shouldn't join. It's too dangerous. What if-" gets cut off.

"Don't even finish that sentence." Zane says coldly. "Look, all that matters right now is that Arlo trying to put you in the hierarchy has stop for the mean time. Me and Zari will still keep an eye on you for Seraphina stake." Zane says.

"Thanks. But we should head to class. Don't want to fail." John says.

"But that isn't a problem when Seraphina is around." Zane smirks.

"Shut it! Let's talk about you and Rosita." John smirks.

Zane eyes glow. "You want to fight?"

John eyes glow. "If it's you then yes."

The two stare at each other. Zane eyes stop glowing. John eyes stop glowing.

"Maybe when you decided to show your ability here at the school. I look forward to our fight. In the mean time, you still need training." Zane states.

"More of Otto's cooking?" John smiles.

"You enjoy her cooking huh?" Zane asks.

"You bet!" John says.

"Figures. Maybe we should invite Seraphina." Zane says.

John smiles fades away.

"Don't worry. If we do training if she's there, we'll let everyone know that she doesn't know yet. You'll only be fighting without abilities. Alright?" Zane asks.

"Alright." John gives a small smile.