fifty-four

The next couple of weeks passed by slowly. I went to class, did my work, and spent every free moment I had with Draco. There was a looming feeling of doom in the air. Everyone seemed different; more gloomy. More attacks on Muggles and Muggleborns were happening through Britain. It seemed as though Voldemort was going to win.

I hid my Dark Mark beneath my sleeve. I didn't want anyone finding out that I was a Death Eater. Gossip would spread like wildfire around the school and everyone would know.

Draco and I were sitting in the Slytherin common room, doing our homework on the coffee table. The bright spring sun was shining through the lake and into the window.

"I'm so glad that we're graduating next month," I said as I scribbled on my parchment with my quill.

"Yeah, I don't think I can take this crap anymore," he replied.

I laughed softly. "What's going to happen after we graduate?"

"What do you mean?" he asked, looking up over his essay and into my eyes.

"I mean are we still going to be together?" I said.

"Of course we're still going to be together," he said very matter-of-factly. "Why wouldn't we?"

"Well, when would we see each other? We're going to go off and get our own jobs..."

"Move in with me," he declared.

I dropped my quill. "What?"

"Move in with me. In Malfoy Manor," he said.

I stared at him. "Well—"

The common room wall opened, making me jump, and Pansy stepped in. "Guys, you need to come out here."

"Why?" I asked.

"Snape's gathering everyone up in the Great Hall," she said. "I don't know why."

Draco and I looked at each other questioningly and headed out of the common room.

* * *

Snape marched all of the students to the Great Hall so that we wouldn't stray away from him. The heels of our shoes clicked simultaneously as we walked.

When we arrived in the Great Hall, we stood in lines. Snape stood at the front, Alecto and Amycus Carrow lingering behind him.

"What's going on?" I whispered to Draco.

"I don't know," he said. He reached down and grabbed my hand.

I squeezed his hand thankfully and looked over the top of people's heads to get a better look at Snape.

Snape cleared his throat. "Many of you are surely wondering why I have summoned you at this hour." He looked around at us, who all have questioning looks on our faces. "It's come to my attention that earlier this evening, Harry Potter was sighted in Hogsmeade."

There was a soft murmur amongst everyone. Harry was back.

"Now should anyone, student or staff, attempt to aid Mr. Potter, they will be punished in a manner consistent with the severity of their transgression. Furthermore, any person found to have knowledge of these events who fails to come forward, will be treated as equally guilty," Snape said.