Chapter 33 | Rey Enterprises

Doris and I are having a silent stand-off, part two

Doris and I are having a silent stand-off, part two. Only this time Holden is doing damage control. He looks like he'd rather be kicked in the nuts, though.

"I have nothing to apologize for." I raise my chin. "You're the one who called me a whore."

"You're the one who pretended to be one, oh so skillfully."

My mouth drops and I stab a finger in her direction, gaping at Holden. "You see! Are you seeing this?"

He cuts me a dry look. "Sierra, we agreed you gave her the wrong impression on purpose. That one is on you."

"I can't fight but I might just be inclined to practice on your face, buddy."

"Sierra."

I mutter a slew of colourful words under my breath and reluctantly look at Doris again. She's staring at me expectantly. I have to grind my jaw to get the words out.

"Doris. I'm...sorry." I shudder.

"For?" She prompts like the asshole she is.

"Calling you a little hag."

"And?"

"Giving you the finger."

"And?"

"Not lying about it, big girl." I span my arms out and go for her, startled screams erupting.

"Woah. Hey." Holden wraps his arms my waist and lifts me into the air, pulling me back. The little jerk bought this on himself. I kick the air but it's no use because he starts walking away with me. "Good to have you on board, Doris!"

"Only because you pay me well!" She yells back accusingly.

Holden manhandles me into his fancy new office and drops me on the couch, closing the door behind him. He turns back around with his fingers pinching the bridge of his nose.

"That was your version of making nice?"

"She's so mean! Why did you have to bring her along?"

"Because she scares everyone away and makes my life easier for it. She's part of the deal now so make your peace with her."

I sit straighter, eyeing him as he comes to stand in front of me. "If you needed a receptionist so bad I could have been yours."

"You couldn't and you know it. You can barely take time away from the bakery."

That drives a grin out of me. "You're right. I'm too cool and successful for you now."

He shakes his head with a suppressed smile, setting his hands on the couch behind me and leaning down to capture my lips.

I can't believe I get this hunk all to myself, all the time. Everything might have fell apart at one point but it was only because we were meant to rebuild from the ground up. And that's exactly what we did since getting back together.