Hundred Thirty Six

"Was it fun?"

Benjamin nods and starts blushing. "It was a lot of fun. I had a really good time."

Gabi looks at Jazmyne and smiles. "Uh oh. What does that mean?"

Benjamin shakes his head and closes his locker. "Nothing. We just...Had a few moments."

Jazmyne laughs. "Moments?"

Benjamin smiles and hugs his textbook against his chest. "Yes...Moments. Look I'd love to give you girls the tea, but we're in the middle of the hallway."

Noah and Lucas join the group. Noah grabs Benjamin's hand, easily intertwining their fingers. "Hey."

Benjamin looks up at him and smiles. "Hi."

Lucas groans and leans against the lockers. "Who's bright idea was it for children to have to go to school for so long? Eight hours? My feet are killing me."

Benjamin turns to Noah, so they can have their own conversation. "Hey. Would you mind driving me to my dad's on Friday?"

"Sure. I thought he was picking you up, though."

"Well he was but...I thought about it and, If I'm in the car with him, he has more time to corner me and ask about last weekend."

"Ooh. Trying to...Avoid it all?"

"Yeah. He doesn't raise his voice at me around Anna because he actually cares about her feelings, I guess."

"That's weird. How he changes who he is around her. I mean...I don't know. I feel like you shouldn't hide that shit from the woman carrying your child."

Benjamin shrugs his shoulders. "I just don't know what he needs to talk to me about? It wasn't that big of a deal."

"Maybe...Does he know that we-?"

Benjamin shakes his head. "No...No...Not even my mom knows that we do it. Unless he just assumes."

"Hey! Hey!"

Benjamin and Noah look over at Lucas who was waving his hand in front of the two. "We're gonna head to class. See you guys at lunch."

Noah nods and looks back at Benjamin. "Come on. I'll walk you to class."

Benjamin nods as he follows behind Noah, still holding his hand. "Maybe he just wants to make sure I'm being safe. But that doesn't really sound like my dad."

Noah hums. "I mean...Maybe?"

Benjamin frowns and looks down at his feet to watch where he was going. Once they got to Benjamin's classroom, Noah grabs his face. "Hey, look at me, bebesita."

Benjamin looks up at Noah, smiling a little.

"Don't stress about it, okay? Just put your mind at ease. Think about how much fun we had."

"Okay. I will." Benjamin smiles and leans in to kiss Noah once. "I love you. See you after class."

"I love you too."

**
Benjamin moves the food around his plate before looking back up at his mom. "I just don't get why he's so angry?"

"Me either, love. I think...He might just a little pissed that I didn't tell him. He gets kind of angry when I don't inform him of what's going on."

Benjamin pushes his seat back to grab a drink. "It's none of his business? He walked out on us. It doesn't concern him anymore."

"I know, Benjamin. I really wish I could afford to go back to court but I just don't have the money for a lawyer right now."

Zach sits up and shrugs. "I could help...I-If you wanted."

Benjamin sits back down across the two, taking a sip from his drink.

Olivia shakes her head. "I-...I couldn't do that."

"I'm offering, babe. Plus, I see things like this all the time with the kids I work with. That environment doesn't feel safe for Benjamin."

"I know but...Taking money from you? I would feel terrible and I can't pay you back."

Zach nods and smiles. "Yeah? So? I'll take these home-cooked meals as payment. Easy as that."

Benjamin smiles at the two and looks back down to his food. He knew his mom wasn't gonna take the money because she felt terrible about not being able to give back.

He grabs his cup from the table, taking another sip from his drink.

**
Benjamin grabs the skirt from out of his bag, smiling at it. He goes over to his dresser, shoving it under some of his pants to hide it.

Not like his mom would care, he just didn't want her to see.

Zach knocks on the door, twice. Benjamin stands up and walks over to his door to open it. "Oh, hey."

"Hey. Your mom made dessert."

Benjamin nods. "Okay. I'll be down in a minute."

Zach smiles and shakes his head. "Hey, I'm really sorry about your dad. It's not fair at all."

Benjamin shrugs his shoulder. "Thanks. I'm fine, though. Promise."

"Okay. If you ever need to talk, I'm here."

Benjamin smiles. "Okay. Thanks."

**
Noah grabs his plate from off the table. His mom shakes her head. "No, mijo. I got it."

Noah smiles. "I got it, mamá. It's the least I can do from being gone all weekend."

"Did you have fun? Benjamín?"

"I had a lot of fun. Thank you for letting me go."

José, Noah's father walks in. "Speaking of...Noah, can we talk?"

Noah nods his head and sets his plate down. "Uh sure. Is everything okay? Did I do something?"

"No, Mijo. I just need to talk to you. Come here."

Noah smiles at his mom before walking out of the kitchen into the living room. He sits on the couch next to his dad and shrugs. "So...What's up?"

"You know your mom and I aren't the type of parents who are all up in your business."

Noah nods and squints his eyes. "Mhm. So...? What?"

"Mamá was doing laundry and she found a box in your dresser-."

Noah nods his head. "Ah. Is that...An issue?"

"No...no. I'm glad you and Benjamin are being safe and everything. Just tell me you're doing it in safe places and...Not your car or anything."

"No...Nah. We're being safe about it. I promise."

"Okay, mijo. Just checking in. I trust you to be safe and not stupid about things like that."

Noah nods again. "Okay. And...I won't leave em out like that anymore."

Noah's dad chuckles and looks up. "Yeah, mijo. You could've just put them in your drawer or something. No need to hide them in obvious places."

***